cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kriggo15
Post Patron
Post Patron

Performance questions

I have what I consider a fairly large app around 35 screens and 30 data sources (all SharePoint) in development and have some performance questions before I get too far down the road.

1. When I create a collection from a SharePoint list, does it call that SharePoint list every time I do a ClearCollect? Is it basically the same as Refresh(SharePointList)?
  2. I have a theme screen where I reference a lot of my controls to. I noticed that I'm getting an "Inefficient delay loading" error, about 200 of them to be exact. 200 could grow into 1000 easily as I continue development. How much of a performance issue is this? Should I just go through and copy and paste all of the RGBA values instead of referencing them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @kriggo15 ,

I have an app a bit smaller than yours (22 data sources and 20 screens), so can share a little bit of "lessons Learnt" with you.

Your questions:

A ClearCollect certainly does access the data source every time it is initiated, however if it is a filtered collect, it will only return the records and fields requested. A refresh from what I understand refreshes all records - I can tell you my collecting is a lot faster than refreshing.

Control loading certainly causes load on the app. There are three things I have done to minimise this:-

1. Split controls across screens I think about 50 is the maximum I have put on a screen (I am wondering how big a screen would be with 1000 controls)
  2. Deleting anything not needed. For example I delete every "Star" and "Error" control (I handle errors at OnSubmit with Variable affecting messages and colours etc) and if I can put a "header" on a custom card, all the labels. When I have "back-loaded" some older apps not done this way, I have noticed performance improvements (particularly on mobile devices).
  3. Minimise "calculated" values in controls if the function can be done another way. 

On the "theme" question, I also use a "master" set of controls on another screen (Text Box, Drop down, Toggle etc) and refer all colour and  font settings on every control to these. It is a bit of work at the start, but you can change the entire app look in minutes. I use an RGBA value as the base, but with many ColorFade variations.

I have never had any speed loading problems with this and about 80% of use is on mobile devices.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @kriggo15 ,

I have an app a bit smaller than yours (22 data sources and 20 screens), so can share a little bit of "lessons Learnt" with you.

Your questions:

A ClearCollect certainly does access the data source every time it is initiated, however if it is a filtered collect, it will only return the records and fields requested. A refresh from what I understand refreshes all records - I can tell you my collecting is a lot faster than refreshing.

Control loading certainly causes load on the app. There are three things I have done to minimise this:-

1. Split controls across screens I think about 50 is the maximum I have put on a screen (I am wondering how big a screen would be with 1000 controls)
  2. Deleting anything not needed. For example I delete every "Star" and "Error" control (I handle errors at OnSubmit with Variable affecting messages and colours etc) and if I can put a "header" on a custom card, all the labels. When I have "back-loaded" some older apps not done this way, I have noticed performance improvements (particularly on mobile devices).
  3. Minimise "calculated" values in controls if the function can be done another way. 

On the "theme" question, I also use a "master" set of controls on another screen (Text Box, Drop down, Toggle etc) and refer all colour and  font settings on every control to these. It is a bit of work at the start, but you can change the entire app look in minutes. I use an RGBA value as the base, but with many ColorFade variations.

I have never had any speed loading problems with this and about 80% of use is on mobile devices.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,196)