cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Permissions on excel data source

I have built a form for people in my organisation to fill out. The Powerapp is connected to two excel files on onedrive. One file feeds the data into the app for drop-downs etc while the other stores the form's entries. 

I have tested my app with one of my colleagues by giving him permission to view the file that feeds the data in. I thought that would be the only file you would need to give permission in order to use the app. When he entered data into the fields, nothing was sent to the form entries file.

The data that is entered is confidential so I do not want to give permissions to people to view the file that is saving the entries. 

Can you please advise if there is a way of enabling all my colleagues to uses this app without allowing them permission to the form entries file? Appreciate your suggestions, thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Permissions on excel data source

Hi @CH6 ,

Firstly, Excel as a data source is not really designed with security in mind.

You will always have to give a user permissions to write to a file to allow them to do this in PowerApps, however the two files do not need to be in the same folder, so you could share the folder for the first one and then shift the file to another folder and only share the file. The user would have to know where it was to find it. 

An alternative is to consider SharePoint for the files (or certainly the confidential one) - it is a bit easier to hide the list from any browsing exercises to find it.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello @CH6 

You will need to provide user permissions to write to a file to allow them to do this in PowerApps.

consider SharePoint for the files or certainly the confidential one

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @CH6 ,

Firstly, Excel as a data source is not really designed with security in mind.

You will always have to give a user permissions to write to a file to allow them to do this in PowerApps, however the two files do not need to be in the same folder, so you could share the folder for the first one and then shift the file to another folder and only share the file. The user would have to know where it was to find it. 

An alternative is to consider SharePoint for the files (or certainly the confidential one) - it is a bit easier to hide the list from any browsing exercises to find it.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello @CH6 

You will need to provide user permissions to write to a file to allow them to do this in PowerApps.

consider SharePoint for the files or certainly the confidential one

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @CH6 ,

What @Yeiner posted was exactly what I said (with a bit more information) on the last post I did.

You can consider accepting multiple correct solutions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,404)