cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garderhagen
Regular Visitor

Photos from Camera

Hi all.

I have with great success created and implemented an PowerApp to our organisation for registering issues and findings to our technical equipment. PowerApp Rocks !!

My app is quite similar to the Site Survey template, only saving the registered records to our on-premise SQL database through the data gateway for integration to our ERP system.

Now i have been asked for features to support documenting the findings recorded in the app with picures.

I have not been able to store photos taken by the camera to a shared storage.

Can anyone please supply me with detailed information, on how to save the images to a SQL table or any other common datasource ?

I have only been able to save images to Excel files stored on the  users personal OneDrive. The downside to this option is that the pictures is only visible for the user hwo has taken them.

Any help appriciated.

Thank You.

Best regards

Bjørn Tore

10 REPLIES 10
archanan
Power Apps
Power Apps

Support for uploading images to SQL is not currently supported. However, it's on our roadmap and we are working on adding this functionality.

audrieg
Power Automate
Power Automate

what are the alternative methods of storing images in the meantime. I mean can you recommend a way to store photos taken in the app somewhere else, so we can still use them until that feature is fulky baked?

You might try trying this old way of storing photos: Storing and Retrieving Photos with DropBox I would have to revisit this way of doing things to see if it still works. This was done with the predecessor to PA, Project Sienna.

Good luck!

Perumal
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Common Data Model(renamed to Common Data Services on yesterday's announcement), also supports Image column.

Do you know if you can share that photo which you store in CDM with your org?

Perumal
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Yes, I aware that currently the permission settings for CDM is not available, but there are announcements regarding CDM in past couple of days and CDM will also get permission settings soon.

If you share an app connected with CDM to another user with "Use" permission alone, then the shared user can do read alone. But if you do "Edit" permission, then the shared user can do the read/write on the entities. Currently CDM uses the app permission to decide the permission level automatically.

I suppose my confusion is that I can't even put the app with a CDM connection in the cloud (only allows local save), so I don't understand how share would work. (Just a bit of confusion on the update, could you send me a link to that annoucement please.) I don't necessarily need to have the CDM shared, but I need to be able to share the photos. Do you think I could use flow to copy the image from CDM to OneDrive?

Thank you for your thoughts and clarifications

Perumal
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Yesterday and Today I am too facing issues with CDM connections, may be due to the recent announcements regarding environments and GA. I have decided to wait till Monday and check again.

But I am sure that in the past I have created couple of PowerApps with CDM, I can share with users and also able store in Cloud.

I think I'll have to wait till Monday too, and work around this issue for the demo tomorrow.

You may resolve some issues by removing the connection and adding it back. That helped me a few times.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Ideas

Check out the New Ideas Site

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,980)