cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pie Chart using Excel Table data

Greetings,

I have searched high and low and cannot figure out how to create a pie chart using an excel table. I just want the chart to display data within the table.  I have attached screenshot of table below. Please assist. Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
jhall
Level 8

Re: Pie Chart using Excel Table data

Do note that linking PowerApps (and I'm assuming you're asking about a Pie chart in PowerApps and not in Excel), to an Excel table doesn't really happen.  The data is IMPORTED from Excel at design time.  It is not renewed at run-time.  So when a user logs in, they see the Pie Chart that is based on data that existed when you imported it from Excel originally (or when you last refreshed it).

Pie Charts take a Collection (table of data) as an input.  So importing an Excel data table would work fine.  Just set the Items property for your Pie Chart to be the name of the table you imported from Excel. (E.g. Table1)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Still shows nothing. 

jhall
Level 8

You can break this down into steps.   First verify that you can show a Collection that you created manually.

• Drop a button on your app
  • Change it's OnSelect event to be:  ClearCollect(myPieChartData,{Display:"Birds",Value:3},{Display:"Bees",Value:1})
  • Alt-Click on the button (it will run the code above)
  • Drop a pie chart on your app
  • Select the Pie Chart graph itself (vs. everything else)
  • Change the Data field to be: myPieChartData

At this point your chart should display the data properly.  If this works, then you need to take a look at how you're importing the information from Excel.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, now how do I make a collection ? I'm sorry, I'm completely virgin and all the resources that I researched just confuse me or don't relate to my data.

jhall
Level 8

Actually, if/when you import an Excel table, you created a Collection (like magic!) in your PowerApp.  Just think of Collections as Excel tables and that'll keep things straight.

So if the example I did above works for you (and the Pie Chart displayed my birds/bees data properly) and when you then pointed your Pie Chart at the Excel table it doesn't show any data, then your Excel table is empty (probably).  Again, the Excel table was imported when you created it IN POWERAPPS.  If you went into Excel, created the table (but didn't put any data in) and then imported it into PowerApps and THEN put data into your Excel table, it would not show the new data.

jhall
Level 8

You're actually asking some good basic questions here.  I need to update my Collection blog post to cover Excel import.

TopShelf-MSFT
Level 10

Thanks for your help in this thread @jhall!

@Anonymous how are you progressing with this?

@TopShelf-MSFT 

Anonymous
Not applicable

He was very helpful. Unfortunately, my assignment changed and I no longer needed this. That's tech for you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Coming Soon: T-Shirt Design Contest

Keep your eyes open for our upcoming T-shirt design contest!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,074)