cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
craigdun

Platform that users can type in a phrase or keywords which can correlate against a document

I'm new to the whole Power App world 

I'm looking for a platform that users can type in a phrase or keywords which can correlate against a document 

I'm a civil eng and when designing need to check or design against a number of standards, I'd like to build some sort of database/platform so less experienced designers can type in a search phrase or keywords that would then identify the document the design needs to be checked against and the section in the document.

If I was designing a footing I could type in concrete and the database would provide an entry that had a link to the standard and the section to check.

I'm new to power apps and have searched the web but there are a million rabbit holes to follow so I thought I ask the community for some guidance. I'm not even sure I'm barking up the right tree, the help and guidance would be appreciated. 

Regards 

Craig

5 REPLIES 5
sam_sonepar
Helper II
Helper II

If you can store these files in a central SharePoint Document Library, you can leverage the top search bar to lookup file names, file content and also list items.

sam_sonepar_1-1616287409168.png

If the files cannot be stored this way, I would try to figure out why (is it a valid reason or just because people don't want to change poor work habits).

Assuming it's a valid reason, map the locations of the files before investigating PowerApps functions.

Thanks Sam 

I have included the document in SharePoint and the search features does work but it does not direct the user to the specific section in the report.

craigdun_0-1616315834573.png

When I open one of the PDF's to search for the term I need to re-type the search term again

craigdun_1-1616316041681.png

Do you know if you can include keywords that could direct a user to a certain section of the document. There are often times when the words used to describe a feature does not match the industry terminology.

@craigdun ,

You cannot search within a document in a SharePoint Document Library. The best you can do is add fields in the metadata with key words.

Thanks WarrenBelz

With that said what could I do to create a function that builds some sort of database/platform so less experienced designers can type in a search phrase or keywords that would then identify the document the design needs to be checked against and the specific section in the document.

@craigdun ,

Yes, you could have a "keywords" meta data field (but you would have to manually enter the data). However the Search function is not Delegable, so you would be limited to 2,000 records unless you are using an Azure SQL backend.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (74,628)