cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SaWu
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Please don't make Preview feature "Use Column Display Names" mandatory!

Please read the full post before responding.
Thank you for your consideration.

I have seen that with one of the last PowerApps releases (3.19013.14 at time of this writing),
the feature "Use Column Display Names" has entered the Preview features and is, for new PowerApps, turned on by default.
I am worried that at some point this will be an unchangeable default for PowerApps.

1. I hate the authoring experience using Display Names, which can contain spaces, special characters and all kinds of weirdness, not to mention that Display Names are language/translation dependant.
  2. Display names are also mutable and it makes my head hurt imagining how someone's change of a Display Name of some field or entity alters my PowerApp authoring experience.
  3. I prefer the authoring experience using immutable (logical) names with a restricted set of characters.
  4. I already think it's awkward that data sources are referenced by their set names (plural name).
    In my company, on entity display name in D365 was recently changed, but all all my PowerApps naturally still have the references to this using the old set name...
  5. Please don't remove the possibility to author PowerApps using (logical) names!
1 REPLY 1
SaWu
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

In light of recent changes:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/quot-Use-Column-Display-Names-quot-is-now-Ver...
please allow me to write "Thanks for nothing!".
Well, at the very least, logical names are not completely disabled.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,152)