cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlprentice
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Please explain the "HTTP with Azure AD" to me

Basically the title, I know how to use the regular old HTTP connector, but I'd like to understand this version of the HTTP connector. Where can I make or find the Application ID URI? What goes in these fields? Could someone please use Calendarific as an example. Thank you

P.S. I do have access to Azure so any screenshots would help!

http.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StalinPonnusamy
Super User
Super User

Hi @dlprentice 

I know the name is confusing when using some connectors.

Base Resource URL: URL for the HTTP resource that we are trying to connect

Resource URL: This is the base URL for the resource

For example, Trying to connect Sharepoint using this connector.

StalinPonnusamy_0-1636815091229.png

For Graph,

StalinPonnusamy_1-1636815443119.png

Thanks,
Stalin - Learn To Illuminate

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
StalinPonnusamy
Super User
Super User

Hi @dlprentice 

I know the name is confusing when using some connectors.

Base Resource URL: URL for the HTTP resource that we are trying to connect

Resource URL: This is the base URL for the resource

For example, Trying to connect Sharepoint using this connector.

StalinPonnusamy_0-1636815091229.png

For Graph,

StalinPonnusamy_1-1636815443119.png

Thanks,
Stalin - Learn To Illuminate

matthew12333333
Resolver II
Resolver II

matthew12333333
Resolver II
Resolver II

Ok, I want to connect to this: https://management.azure.com/providers/Microsoft.Management/managementGroups?api-version=2020-05-01

I think my params are wrong, do you know how to put it right?

Base Resource URL: https://management.azure.com/

Azure AD Resource URI: https://management.azure.com/providers/Microsoft.Management/managementGroups

matthew12333333_0-1664818394930.png

I'va try that also:

matthew12333333_0-1664818909297.png

Fun fact, when I go there: Management Groups - List - REST API (Azure Management Groups) | Microsoft Learn and I try the GET api when I am conencted, all works fine (I get all the management groups)... And it is the same URL!!!!!!!

matthew12333333_1-1664818506519.png

So someone can tell me what I've done wrong?

user-msft
Regular Visitor

I was finally able to get this working with the Power BI REST APIs. Attaching screenshots for anyone else. Example below is to get details on dataset refreshes. 

Base URL - https://api.powerbi.com

Azure AD Resource URI - https://analysis.windows.net/powerbi/api 

usermsft_0-1665417029231.png

usermsft_1-1665417068920.png

klanguedoc
Frequent Visitor

Where can I find the URLs that were configured using this connector. Are the stored in Dataverse. I found the connection reference, but I need the actual URLs as I need to re-create them and I have no information what they are used for .

It really depends on what you are trying to do. Also note my URLs end in .us because I'm using a government cloud. Your URLs would probably end in .com if on commercial.

In this example I am trying to work with the Power Automate API (without creating a custom connector).

dlprentice_0-1674677265728.png

In this example I am working with the Graph API to do some interesting things like get Teams information. Again, I didn't want to build a custom connector. This works for me to fulfill my needs.

dlprentice_1-1674677376248.png

Think of Microsoft resources that have an API endpoint (or likely do). You will eventually find you can access just about any Microsoft API that requires authentication with this connector.

SharePoint example (Note I edited part of the URL with yoursharepoint to not reveal what is really here).

dlprentice_2-1674677528397.png

Here is a Dynamics example (Note I again edited the URL).

dlprentice_3-1674677623561.png

Hope this helps! I've been using this connector extensively for tasks. Custom connectors have their place, but I don't like building them for Microsoft resources unless I really have to.

klanguedoc
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the feedback. Once you add the base url and the azure AD url and click save, where are those values stored? Are in Dataverse, if so, which entity? Are they stored elsewhere, if so, where?

Well, these are connections so they are saved with the connection.

dlprentice_0-1674746526590.png

Here is me using my connection in a flow... Here is my connection details. I just specified the base path on both entries.

dlprentice_1-1674746576292.png

Picking the Invoke an HTTP request action

dlprentice_2-1674746628277.png

dlprentice_3-1674746642223.png

This part can be slightly confusing if you have multiple HTTP with Azure AD connections saved since they are all named the same. Can be some trial and error. You'll know your messed up if you try to use the action and it says bad request. In this example we are trying to do a graph API request but if the connection was setup for a different endpoint it'd just throw an error. You'd just need to edit the flow to the other connection available on your lists until you get the right one.

dlprentice_4-1674746699405.png

The action setup

dlprentice_5-1674746733764.png

And just like that, we did an authenticated graph API call and got a response!

dlprentice_7-1674747021798.png

Again hope this helps.

klanguedoc
Frequent Visitor

Thanks again. I have nothing in connections, except for my own. However, I have hundreds of connection references and I can't find where in Dataverse they are stored, if at all. I looked at some of the entities using SSMS and didn't find anything in connectionreferences or connections entities. So I assume the actual details, like the urls are stored elsewhere which doesn't really make sense since the data related to the solution are stored in the Dataverse. I'll keep looking. If I find anything, I'll post it here as it may help others.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,147)