cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rico36
Frequent Visitor

Populate a combobox Person field from SP list A with a filtered list of people from a Person column in List B (single select)?

How can I populate a Person's combobox field linked to a column in SP list "A" exclusively with a filtered list of people from list "B" and still allow that combobox to remain full person schema? (can extract email, picture, etc) ??  In my case, when the user selects a person from list B in the combobox,  it should save the selected as a Person into List A but also should allow to display the photo of the selected person in a separate image control.  Both SP lists A and B have a Person column however, if my Combobox Items property has:

Distinct(Filter([@POCs], Role.Value="Assistant" && IsActive.Value = "Yes"), POC_Person.DisplayName)

then the end result is that the combobox shows those names and allow selection from List B (POCs) but the selected it is no longer a full Person schema (i.e., my image control could not extract the Picture from the combobox selected property).  I only see combobox.Selected.Results but not combobox.Selected.Email, .DisplayName, ,Picture etc as example.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StalinPonnusamy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Rico36 

Sorry for the late response. And took a while to find out the answer. This is not straightforward also.

Set Onvisible property of the screen to 

Clear(colPersons);
ForAll(
    With(
        {_Item: [@POCs]},
        Filter(
            _Item,
            Role.Value = "Assistant" && IsActive
        )
    ),
    Collect(
        colPersons,
        ThisRecord.POC_Person
    )
);

And Set Items Property of Combobox to

colPersons

Set the Layout as Person

StalinPonnusamy_1-1634613014165.png

Thanks,
Stalin

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
StalinPonnusamy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Rico36 

Set the Items property and DefaultSelectedItems property of Combobox2 to

Distinct(Filter(SPList, 'PersonColumnName'.DisplayName=ComboBox1.Selected.Result).'PersonColumnName','PersonColumnName'.DisplayName)

And Set Onchange property of Combobox 1 to

Reset([@ComboBox2])

Thanks Stalin.  Interesting solution but what if the selected person is in POCs but not in SPList.PersonColumnName yet?  Also, there is only one combobox.  

StalinPonnusamy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Rico36 

• The list will be empty. We may need to block other operations based on your need.
  • Whenever you use Distinct which returns a one-column table that contains the results.
StalinPonnusamy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Rico36 

Since you are expecting a person record (full information), avoid using distinct on the person combobox.

Person combo box can be

Office365Users.SearchUser({searchTerm: ""})

or

Choices(SPList.PersonColumn)

Using these we can use Filter to filter the SPlist person (s)

Thanks Stalin .  However, if I use the Filter command:

Filter([@POCs].POC_Person)

then it won't accept necessary filter conditions..:  Role.Value="Assistant" && IsActive.Value = "Yes".

If I use the following Filter command instead:

Filter([@POCs], Role.Value="Assistant" && IsActive.Value = "Yes").POC_Person

shows nothing in the combobox because the returned in POC_Person are of type Records. If I add ".DisplayName" at the end it doesn't recognize it as valid.  That is why I was using the Distinct().

Distinct(Filter([@POCs], Role.Value="Assistant" && IsActive.Value = "Yes"), POC_Person.DisplayName)

StalinPonnusamy
Super User
Super User

Let me work on this and get back to you.

StalinPonnusamy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Rico36 

Sorry for the late response. And took a while to find out the answer. This is not straightforward also.

Set Onvisible property of the screen to 

Clear(colPersons);
ForAll(
    With(
        {_Item: [@POCs]},
        Filter(
            _Item,
            Role.Value = "Assistant" && IsActive
        )
    ),
    Collect(
        colPersons,
        ThisRecord.POC_Person
    )
);

And Set Items Property of Combobox to

colPersons

Set the Layout as Person

StalinPonnusamy_1-1634613014165.png

Thanks,
Stalin

Hi Stalin.  Thank you so much for all your time helping me on this.     I will try your solution using a collection and will comment back.  

Rico36
Frequent Visitor

Stalin, it worked beautifully !!!  Pretty simple too.  Thanks so much.  😀

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,628)