Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HeronS98
Helper III
Helper III

Populate a text field with a barcode scanner

Hello,

I want to implement a new asset management system into our office.

I'm using a Microsoft List to store the data, and from that have integrated an app. I would like to add a barcode scanning option to an asset tag text field so that it will auto-populate on a scan, then when you have saved the record, it will update to the Microsoft List.

I have no knowledge in the Power Apps field so I would have no clue how to implement this, if anyone could help I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello matte,

Here are the steps:   (Assuming you already added your list as a Datasource)

0) Create your input form and add all your fields there.   

1) In the serial number CARD, which you want to have the data read from a camera, insert a barcode scanner object.  (Insert/Media/Barcode scanner)

leonunescouto_0-1636052538690.png

2) on the OnScan property of that Barcode Scanner, set a temporary variable to receive the data you are reading.    Set(tmpScan,Self.Value)

3) On the serial number Card, On the Default property, set the following formula: 

leonunescouto_1-1636055310477.png

Basically it checks for the form mode.  If is New then it gets the value from the tmpScan variable, otherwise it gets from the form itself)

4) Finish to add your data and then submit the form.

Let me know if that is what you were looking for.

Cheers,

Leo Couto

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello matte,

Here are the steps:   (Assuming you already added your list as a Datasource)

0) Create your input form and add all your fields there.   

1) In the serial number CARD, which you want to have the data read from a camera, insert a barcode scanner object.  (Insert/Media/Barcode scanner)

leonunescouto_0-1636052538690.png

2) on the OnScan property of that Barcode Scanner, set a temporary variable to receive the data you are reading.    Set(tmpScan,Self.Value)

3) On the serial number Card, On the Default property, set the following formula: 

leonunescouto_1-1636055310477.png

Basically it checks for the form mode.  If is New then it gets the value from the tmpScan variable, otherwise it gets from the form itself)

4) Finish to add your data and then submit the form.

Let me know if that is what you were looking for.

Cheers,

Leo Couto

Brilliant, thanks for providing this.

Many thanks,

Sam

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Government Carousel

New forum: GCC, GCCH, DoD - Federal App Makers (FAM)

In response to the unique and evolving requirements of the United States public sector, Microsoft has created Power Apps US Government.

Users online (2,184)