Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Populating dropdown takes a lot of time on phones

Hello,

I am working on an app that helps employees document their time spent in committee meetings. So, I have a table in Sharepoint that has committee and employee names like this. There are about 200 entries in this table.

image.png

In my App, on the landing page, the user is shown a dropdown that only shows that person's committees to help them submit the time spent in that committee meeting and other details through a form. I am filtering users based on their emails so my filtering condition for my drop down looks like this:

Filter(Committee_Member2,Lower(Right(Member.Claims,Len(User().Email)))=Lower(User().Email)).Title

It totally accomplishes the purpose but the problem is that it takes about 16-20 seconds to populate the dropdown. This confuses users as they have no values in the drop down for so long.This only happens when a user uses his/her phone (We have this app available on the company website too for the people who do not want to use their phones and it works without a problem).

Is there a way I can reduce this loading time or show a spinner until the drop down is populated? 

Thank you.

@Jeff_Thorpe 

@RandyHayes 

@yashag2255 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Populating dropdown takes a lot of time on phones

@BigTex 

Consider putting a global variable in your OnStart such as this:

Set(glbUserEmail, User().Email)

Then change your formula to the following:

Filter(Committee_Member2,
Lower(Right(Member.Claims,Len(glbUserEmail)))=Lower(glbUserEmail)).Title

That will at least take the time that User().Email needs out of the equation as it can have a pretty signifiant impact on performance...and you really only need it once.

I hope that is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

When the App loads add a filtered list of the Committees to a local collection. That will still take 16-20 seconds.  But if you use that collection to drive your dropdown it will be much faster loading when they return to the home screen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@BigTex 

Consider putting a global variable in your OnStart such as this:

Set(glbUserEmail, User().Email)

Then change your formula to the following:

Filter(Committee_Member2,
Lower(Right(Member.Claims,Len(glbUserEmail)))=Lower(glbUserEmail)).Title

That will at least take the time that User().Email needs out of the equation as it can have a pretty signifiant impact on performance...and you really only need it once.

I hope that is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@Pstork1 

That is the first thing I tried and it did not make a difference for me because the time lag is the same and my first page is the same page where the drop down is located. Once it loads, it does not reload everytime you return to that screen.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@RandyHayes 

That worked like a miracle and now the loading time is almost down to 1 second. Thanks a lot for that solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,367)