cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CasperSeve
Frequent Visitor

Populating dropdown value based on other dropdown

Hi there,

I am quite new to PowerApps so my apologies for this rather simple question.

I have 6 dropdowns with the same items in all of them: "Chosen" and "Rejected". All dropdowns are named Dropdown1, Dropdown2 etc.
If I select Chosen in one of the dropdowns, I want the rest of the dropdowns to automatically select "Rejected", vice versa if I change a Rejected dropdown to Chosen, the whole operation starts again.

How would you solve this? I tried to look at default values but without any luck 😞

Thanks in advance,

/Casper

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
JR-BejeweledOne
Super User
Super User

Here you go.

On your app load set a variable like this where 'Dropdowns' is the name of the variable:

Set(
    Dropdowns,
      {
        Dropdown1: false,
        Dropdown2: false,
        Dropdown3: false,

Dropdown4: false,

Dropdown5: false,

Dropdown6: false
     }
)

On each of your dropdowns use this formula changing it as needed based on which dropdown you are setting.

Dropdown1 would be:

If(
Dropdown1.Selected.Value = "Chosen", Set(Dropdowns, {Dropdown1: true, Dropdown2: false, Dropdown3: false, Dropdown4: false, Dropdown5: false, Dropdown: 6 false})

)

Dropdown2 would be:

If(
Dropdown2.Selected.Value = "Chosen", Set(Dropdowns, {Dropdown1: false, Dropdown2: true, Dropdown3: false, Dropdown4: false, Dropdown5: false, Dropdown: 6 false})

)

And so on for each dropdown.

Set the default property for each dropdown:

So the default property for Dropdown1 would be:

If(
Dropdowns.Dropdown1 = false, "Rejected",
Dropdowns.Dropdown1 = true, "Chosen",
Dropdowns.Dropdown1 = false & Dropdowns.Dropdown2 = false & Dropdowns.Dropdown3 = false & Dropdowns.Dropdown4 = false & Dropdowns.Dropdown5 = false & Dropdowns.Dropdown6 = false,

""
)   

And the default property for dropdown2 would be:

If(
Dropdowns.Dropdown2 = false, "Rejected",
Dropdowns.Dropdown2 = true, "Chosen",
Dropdowns.Dropdown1 = false & Dropdowns.Dropdown2 = false & Dropdowns.Dropdown3 = false & Dropdowns.Dropdown4 = false & Dropdowns.Dropdown5 = false & Dropdowns.Dropdown6 = false,

""
)

And so on.

If you like this post, give it a Thumbs up. If it answered your question, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

View solution in original post

JR-BejeweledOne
Super User
Super User

My apologies.   I give you this elaborate setup and forgot to tell you where to use it!   Yes it is used in the OnChange property.

I also see an error I needed to fix in the example for the dropdown2 default formula.  It should have read (and I will fix it for others to see):

If(

""
)

If you like this post, give it a Thumbs up. If it answered your question, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

8 REPLIES 8
JR-BejeweledOne
Super User
Super User

In your default items for each control you will need a formula similar to this:  Each control will have 5 statements to evaluate and will reference the other 5 controls.

Here are 2 ways you could do this:  This one would be set on Dropdown1 (On dropdown2, you would be referencing dropdowns 1, 3,4,5,6 and so on for each subsequent control)

If( Dropdown2.Selected.Value = "Chosen" Or Dropdown3.Selected.Value = "Chosen" Or Dropdown4.Selected.Value = "Chosen" Or Dropdown5.Selected.Value = "Chosen" Or Dropdown6.Selected.Value = "Chosen", "Rejected", "")

If(

Dropdown2.Selected.Value = "Chosen", "Rejected",

Dropdown3.Selected.Value = "Chosen", "Rejected",

Dropdown4.Selected.Value = "Chosen", "Rejected",

Dropdown5.Selected.Value = "Chosen", "Rejected",

Dropdown6.Selected.Value = "Chosen", "Rejected",

""

)

Thanks for the tip!

I tried to do that, inserted the first If formula in the defaults value of dropdown1 with success. But I get circular reference errors when I try and insert the changed formula on dropdown2 and the other ones. Don't really see how to fix that 😞

JR-BejeweledOne
Super User
Super User

I will see if I can figure it out.   Other than this are these dropdowns dependent on each other at all?   Is the items property for each ["Chosen", "Rejected"] or are they getting the values from a data source?

JR-BejeweledOne
Super User
Super User

Here you go.

On your app load set a variable like this where 'Dropdowns' is the name of the variable:

Set(
    Dropdowns,
      {
        Dropdown1: false,
        Dropdown2: false,
        Dropdown3: false,

Dropdown4: false,

Dropdown5: false,

Dropdown6: false
     }
)

On each of your dropdowns use this formula changing it as needed based on which dropdown you are setting.

Dropdown1 would be:

If(
Dropdown1.Selected.Value = "Chosen", Set(Dropdowns, {Dropdown1: true, Dropdown2: false, Dropdown3: false, Dropdown4: false, Dropdown5: false, Dropdown: 6 false})

)

Dropdown2 would be:

If(
Dropdown2.Selected.Value = "Chosen", Set(Dropdowns, {Dropdown1: false, Dropdown2: true, Dropdown3: false, Dropdown4: false, Dropdown5: false, Dropdown: 6 false})

)

And so on for each dropdown.

Set the default property for each dropdown:

So the default property for Dropdown1 would be:

If(
Dropdowns.Dropdown1 = false, "Rejected",
Dropdowns.Dropdown1 = true, "Chosen",

""
)   

If(

""
)

And so on.

Thank you for this! Working with a global variable makes sense!

I have one question that I do not fully understand; you wrote that: "On each of your dropdowns use this formula changing it as needed based on which dropdown you are setting"

Where exactly do I change this formula? OnSelect, OnChange or? It cannot be the default property, since this is another formula 🙂

JR-BejeweledOne
Super User
Super User

My apologies.   I give you this elaborate setup and forgot to tell you where to use it!   Yes it is used in the OnChange property.

I also see an error I needed to fix in the example for the dropdown2 default formula.  It should have read (and I will fix it for others to see):

If(

""
)

Thank you very much!

I think this solved it - even though I have some 'errors', it at least now works every time I select "chosen".

Excellent suggestion and help!

JR-BejeweledOne
Super User
Super User

If you don't mind me asking, what 'errors' are you seeing?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Don't miss the call this month on June 16th - 8a PDT

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (66,665)