cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brucemZA
Helper I
Helper I

Possible to allow user to use Power App that writes to a Sharepoint List without giving user direct access to the Sharepoint List?

So I am trying to figure out how permissions work. So let's say I have an organization with 1,000 users - and I want them all to be able to use a Power App to capture data - and the data writes from the Power App to a Sharepoint list. However, I don't want them to be able to open up the Sharepoint list directly, because then anyone can delete or change data.

Surely this is a way to protect data integrity by giving users a Power App that can write data to a SharePoint list, wihout having to give the same users access to the SharePoint list itself?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @brucemZA ,

This question has been asked many times on this forum.

Firstly a purely correct answer is no - if the user needs write permissions to a SharePoint List, then they have the same permission to write to it directly, however there are some ways (which I use myself) to make this unlikely.

The easiest is to "hide it" - a sub-site to the main one with site and list names not known to other users. They have to know the exact URL to find it. Also take the list out of the site navigation and use shortcuts yourself. 
You can also stop editing and new records (if they must see the list read-only), but doing a SharePoint Integration Power Apps form and controlling the OnEdit and OnNew as to who can do what.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
eka24
Super User
Super User

WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @brucemZA ,

This question has been asked many times on this forum.

Firstly a purely correct answer is no - if the user needs write permissions to a SharePoint List, then they have the same permission to write to it directly, however there are some ways (which I use myself) to make this unlikely.

The easiest is to "hide it" - a sub-site to the main one with site and list names not known to other users. They have to know the exact URL to find it. Also take the list out of the site navigation and use shortcuts yourself. 
You can also stop editing and new records (if they must see the list read-only), but doing a SharePoint Integration Power Apps form and controlling the OnEdit and OnNew as to who can do what.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,567)