cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
colonel_claypoo
Helper III
Helper III

Possible to use checkboxes instead of combobox for multi-valued choice fields?

I've worked through @CarlosFigueira's examlpes to circumvent the issue of not having had support for multi-valued choice fields here and here. Thanks for those Carlos!

In one of those guides checkboxes were employed but had to be used in conjunction with a single line text field.

Is it by this time possible to use multi-valued choice fields with checkboxes instead of a single line text field?

With the checkbox approach the Default property of a checkbox had to be set to "Choice1" in Split(Parent.Default; ",").

So I was thinking that for using the multi-valued field I could use something like "Choice1" in Split(Choices(ListName.MultivaluedChoiceField); ",") but unfortunately, this does not work.

The error message is Invalid argument type (table). Expected a Record value instead.

Any idea if it's possible to use SharePoint list multi-valued choice fields with checkboxes in PowerApps?

Thanks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CarlosFigueira
Power Apps
Power Apps

Yes, you can now use checkboxes directly in a multi-valued choice field. For the default value of each checkbox, you'd use this expression:

"Choice 1" in ThisItem.ChoiceMultiple.Value

Where 'Choice 1' the value of the choice column associated with the checkbox, and 'ChoiceMultiple' is the name of the choice column from SharePoint. You don't need to use the Choices function here, as it would return all possible choices, and you want only the values that are saved in the list.

For the Update expression, you can use something similar - you need to have an expression whose result is a table with a 'Value' column (see this post for more details), and you can use an expression like this one to accomplish that:

RenameColumns(
    Split(
        Mid(
            Concatenate(
                If(chkChoice1.Value, "," & chkChoice1.Text, ""),
                If(chkChoice2.Value, "," & chkChoice2.Text, ""),
                If(chkChoice3.Value, "," & chkChoice3.Text, ""),
                If(chkChoice4.Value, "," & chkChoice4.Text, ""),
                If(chkChoice5.Value, "," & chkChoice5.Text, "")),
            2),
        ","),
    "Result",
    "Value")

In my example I have 5 possible values (thus 5 checkboxes), but you can configure it for your scenario.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
colonel_claypoo
Helper III
Helper III

Hello,

is it okay to bump my own thread? I'm still looking for a solution. What can I do about the error message Invalid argument type (table). Expected a Record value instead? Would it be an option to kind of collect all the values of ListName.MultivaluedCoiceField first and combine them in a record?

Thanks.

CarlosFigueira
Power Apps
Power Apps

Yes, you can now use checkboxes directly in a multi-valued choice field. For the default value of each checkbox, you'd use this expression:

"Choice 1" in ThisItem.ChoiceMultiple.Value

Where 'Choice 1' the value of the choice column associated with the checkbox, and 'ChoiceMultiple' is the name of the choice column from SharePoint. You don't need to use the Choices function here, as it would return all possible choices, and you want only the values that are saved in the list.

For the Update expression, you can use something similar - you need to have an expression whose result is a table with a 'Value' column (see this post for more details), and you can use an expression like this one to accomplish that:

RenameColumns(
    Split(
        Mid(
            Concatenate(
                If(chkChoice1.Value, "," & chkChoice1.Text, ""),
                If(chkChoice2.Value, "," & chkChoice2.Text, ""),
                If(chkChoice3.Value, "," & chkChoice3.Text, ""),
                If(chkChoice4.Value, "," & chkChoice4.Text, ""),
                If(chkChoice5.Value, "," & chkChoice5.Text, "")),
            2),
        ","),
    "Result",
    "Value")

In my example I have 5 possible values (thus 5 checkboxes), but you can configure it for your scenario.

View solution in original post

Thank you very much for your reply Carlos. I've not had the chance to test this out yet but I'm sure this will be helpful to anyone.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,445)