Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sudhavi_84
Helper I
Helper I

Power APP from Excel or list

Hi Experts,

I have a question not sure I am posting here correctly or not.

1.) Current Process, We have latest 3 Months of data (projects) maintaining in Excel, and we comparing always Budget Vs latest 3 months of data of all projects.

user will check against budget with latest month and enters the value in same excel sheet about variances..Variances can be in different categories..

Is it possible that we can do this in Power APP? I don't want to do this in Excel because it is too much time consuming and in App  they can enter manually variances for each project..

2.)  Example in Latest month, projects will be repeated twice or thrice or more, so first Initially it should be summarised values always based on Month/year, so first should I do in List to summarise and then should I need to incorporate into Power APP?

Please guide me I am so excited to do this in Power APP for users

Thank you in Advance

14 REPLIES 14

Thanks @BCLS7

We add only 30 standard columns I mean about Variance category column's.

Like Budget Month vs Current Month

Budget year vs Current Month year

Like this we have 10 different things to compare and so it's like I add 30 standard columns only and you are right I can not add in monthly list because it will change every month.

Instead I will add this 30 columns in Projects list so that it won't change in future and also based on power app entry it will auto update in Project list table what do you think?

I will go through that link you specified thank you very much for your help🙏🙏

OK, good to hear you understand why adding columns over time is a bad idea. Minimizing the number of columns is a good thing too. Power Apps is a cloud-based service and therefore app performance is often tied to the quantity of data that must be transferred from server to user and vice-versa. One table with 40 columns is typically less performant than two tables with 20 columns each, since you have influence over when each table is loaded or operated upon.

This may not be a big deal for a simple app, but as your apps become more complex, this will become more of an issue.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thank you for your help and continues support  @BCLS776  on this..

Last thing I would like to ask you is and then I will start exploring your link and other videos too...

Regards to Project List table, Should I assign relationship to all 3 months tables and budget list with Project List? Or with the help of power app can I directly update in to project list?

I am just trying to understand in my case, assigning relationships in the list is mandatory because I may build dashboards too 

So what do you think relationship in List should be assigned? Or should I auto update project list table from through power App?

@Sudhavi_84 wrote:

Regards to Project List table, Should I assign relationship to all 3 months tables and budget list with Project List? Or with the help of power app can I directly update in to project list?

I am just trying to understand in my case, assigning relationships in the list is mandatory because I may build dashboards too 

So what do you think relationship in List should be assigned? Or should I auto update project list table from through power App?

If I understand your question correctly, a best practice is to establish the relationship as soon as you create a new record in a table. You can do this in a Power App when you are using it to create a new record using a form control or the Patch() function. As you create the record, populate as many of the columns (fields) of that record as you can at the time of creation. By doing this, any subsequent operations will have an ID or other way to facilitate a lookup into another table. There may be times you can't do this, but getting the data in there as soon as practical will help your apps operate with fewer troubles.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Perfect Thanks @BCLS776 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,481)