cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power App Components not working with Global variables used with Input properties

Problem:  Creating a new component with Input parameters.  When using the component and setting the custom input parameter with a variable, the value passes thru, as the variable is reset, the control does not update with the variable.  Replication Steps are recorded  in the 2 min 20 sec recording showing the issue.
https://www.pbeck.co.uk/2020/02/power-apps-component-potential-bug.html

Initial Hypothesis: I have a large Power App project that uses this technique a lot.  The global variable were working until Fri 14 Feb 2020.  I believe the Power Apps version has been updated and is causing the issue.  I have tried the work on multiple environments and tenants.  It is happening across them all.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Fixed - MS has released a new Power Apps build version

The issue is resolved - Microsoft has released a new Power Apps build version today 3.20022.17 and the issue is 100% resolved 🙂

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

Re: Fixed - MS has released a new Power Apps build version

Hi @JroderickMP @paulbeck1 @jwillems ,

A fix had gone out earlier today. Can you let us know if the issue is resolved for you?

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: Fixed - MS has released a new Power Apps build version

There was a problem with the rollout to preview.create.powerapps.com, so if you are seeing version 3.20022.19, it may not work yet. The rollout to preview should be complete later today. Apologies for the inconvenience.

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Re: Power App Components not working with Global variables used with Input properties

This is a known issue in the new release that should be fixed soon. As a quick fix, local variables - UpdateContext() - seem to be working correctly.

---
If this answered your question, please click "Accept Solution". If this helped, please Thumbs Up.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Power App Components not working with Global variables used with Input properties

I have been fighting this bug all morning! I am glad someone reported it and it will be fixed. I have a large project I am working on that I am due to preview tomorrow. This is a huge deal that doesn't take long to resolve (like today!).

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thanks Eric.  Good to know MS are on the case.  I can live with the work around.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi Paul - I am curious how are you implementing the workaround? Are you setting up context variables on each screen?

Highlighted
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I have not tested it, but I saw on Twitter that collections are working too. You could add your global variable to a collection like this:

Collect(varCollection,{Name:varName,Value:varValue}

Then reference it like this

Lookup(varCollection,varName=MyVariableName).Value

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Eric,

I would have liked to be informed about bugs like this instead of spending all morning trying to find out why suddenly all my components no longer correctly update..

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Eric, Thanks for the tip, but this would take me too many hours to implement and test.

Highlighted
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@JoeriW
I suggest keeping an eye on the #PowerApps feed on Twitter for immediate awareness and then check the service health center to see if Microsoft is aware of the situation.
https://portal.office.com/adminportal/home#/servicehealth
The main takeaway here is to be very cautious about using experimental features in production apps.
Highlighted

@EricLott 

The key takeaway for Microsoft and the Powerapps team here, is that if you discover a bug in the online tool, you roll back to the latest stable release immediately.

Containers are not really considered experimental, more like a key need for reusability. Just like functions (globally and locally defined), they are drastically needed to reduce code and avoid the Powerapps creator to become slow. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (12,607)