cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DenisMolodtsov
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Power App Solution Package - Extract and Re-ZIP Programmatically

Hello dear community members. I really need your help figuring out Power Apps / Power Automate Solution Packages work. I can't figure how to to generate a proper ZIP solution that is understood by the Power Platform during the import process.

What I am trying to do

1. Manually. Export a solution that contains Power Apps, Power Automate as a ZIP file. 
  2. Unzip the ZIP file programmaticaly.
  3. Perform a minor change in several unzipped files. 
  4. ZIP up the files back to a solution programmatically, using PowerShell,
  5. Import Solution (zip) file to a new/same environment.

3_Import package.png

I have an issue with the Step #4 - Zipping the solution files back to a solution file. To be more specific, the issue is in the step #5. When I generate a ZIP file programmatically, Step #5 fails. When I create a ZIP file manually (see screenshot below) - Step #5 succeeds.

Experiment A) If we manually create a solution file, then Step #5 works as expected: I can import a solution file with no issues:

1_Manual Zipping.png

Manually Zip solution file is imported perfectly fine:
DenisMolodtsov_0-1599966170892.png

Experiment B) However, I am trying to automate the entire process and do not want to manually ZIP anything. So, I am ZIPping the solution files using PowerShell:

2_PowerShell zipping.jpg

As a result of running this PowerShell script, I get a ZIP solution file. It looks completely valid and I don't see any issues with it.

So, now, I am trying to import this solution file via https://make.powerapps.com/, but this time I get an error:

Solution "ContosoSolution" failed to import: Error while importing workflow {ed432f3c-6ee6-ea11-a817-000d3af41a7c} type ModernFlow name PowerApp -> Get items: Workflow import: Xaml file is missing from import zip file: FileName: /Workflows/PowerApp-Getitems-ED432F3C-6EE6-EA11-A817-000D3AF41A7C.json

This is what the solution import log contains:

5_Error Log.png

According to the error, the solution ZIP file is missing a /Workflows/....json file. This error seems to be misleading, because the ZIP file does contain this file:

10_Workflows.png

Question how can I generate a solution file programmatically in a way that can be properly read by the Power Platform during the import process? Why generating ZIP files manually works while programmatic generation causes an issue?

How to quickly replicate an issue

- Export solution package

- Unzip it

- ZIP it back using PowerShell:

[System.IO.Compression.ZipFile]::CreateFromDirectory($SourceDirectory, "PowerShell-Optinal-UTF8.zip",
[System.IO.Compression.CompressionLevel]::Fastest, $false, [System.Text.Encoding]::UTF8 )

- Import the ZIP Solution file

- Result: Get an error

More details

• Why I am asking this question? I am trying to upgrade the Power Apps / Flow migrator script to also support Solution migration. 
  • I was trying to ZIP the file:
    • With UTF8 encoding
    • With different compressions:
      • Uncompressed
      • Fastest
      • Optimal
    • Was trying to Compress-Archive PowerShell cmdlet and [System.IO.Compression.ZipFile]::CreateFromDirectory .NET function. 

7_Compare.png

8_Compare ZIPS.png

11 REPLIES 11
DenisMolodtsov
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

My friend Mark Doria found a solution to this issue:

- cd to the extracted Solution folder

- Run the following batch script:

tar -a -c -f "Sample.zip" *

The tar utility is a built-in Windows utility that creates ZIP files that Power platform does not complain about.

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,380)