cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg27
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power Apps Form vs no Form

When creating a Canvas app, I see that I can create a form or skip it. If I skip it, I see I can add fields to the screen directly. Is there a benefit of adding a form and then adding fields to the form vs just adding fields to the screen with no form?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
BrianS
Super User
Super User

There are advantages to both methods. If you create a form, in order to save the data you just Submit the form. If you create fields outside a form you need to Patch them into the data source - usually individually.

They both have there uses. When you are starting out it is usually easier to use forms. As you get more demanding with what you want to do and how many data sources you are using at a time, the free-form method has more advantages.

View solution in original post

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Greg27 

Always opt for the form.  The editforms in PowerAps bring tremendous amounts of features to your app that you would otherwise spend a lot of time designing yourself.  It's just not worth it.

Forms bring Error checking, Unsaved (changed) indication, validation, and datasource awareness that you would have to do on your own.  

Quite honestly, when I was starting out, I opted for no forms.  As I understood forms more, they are a mainstay in all apps now.  I will say that I rarely use the interface of the form and will do my own custom interface for them, but I include them in every app because of the above mentioned features - they are invaluable!

I have videos on the use of EditForms including the separation of the interface from the form function that get into how to do those things (see link below in signature line).

Free-form methods take at least, if not more, 2 times the amount of work if you need the functions of the form...it's just simpler!

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

4 REPLIES 4
BrianS
Super User
Super User

There are advantages to both methods. If you create a form, in order to save the data you just Submit the form. If you create fields outside a form you need to Patch them into the data source - usually individually.

They both have there uses. When you are starting out it is usually easier to use forms. As you get more demanding with what you want to do and how many data sources you are using at a time, the free-form method has more advantages.

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@Greg27 

Always opt for the form.  The editforms in PowerAps bring tremendous amounts of features to your app that you would otherwise spend a lot of time designing yourself.  It's just not worth it.

Forms bring Error checking, Unsaved (changed) indication, validation, and datasource awareness that you would have to do on your own.  

Quite honestly, when I was starting out, I opted for no forms.  As I understood forms more, they are a mainstay in all apps now.  I will say that I rarely use the interface of the form and will do my own custom interface for them, but I include them in every app because of the above mentioned features - they are invaluable!

I have videos on the use of EditForms including the separation of the interface from the form function that get into how to do those things (see link below in signature line).

Free-form methods take at least, if not more, 2 times the amount of work if you need the functions of the form...it's just simpler!

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Brian,

Sorry for the late response. I am still working through this. How do you patch fields outside of a form into a data source? I actually just added the fields from the Insert menu in Power Apps and I don't see a way to add them to a data source.

You use the Patch command Here is the documentation:

-https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-patch

Here is a video explaining the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX5q_V3U8-s

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,190)