cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greggpowell
Helper II
Helper II

Power Apps Licensing question - P1, P2, Per App, Per User

Q1: Does the old name - Power Apps Plan2 correspond to what Microsoft refers to as the Power Apps per user plan? And does the old name - Power Apps Plan1 correspond to what Microsoft refers to now as the Power Apps per app plan?

Q2: With a Power Apps per app plan - are multiple dataverse tables allowed (4 or more) all tied to the same app?

I find Microsoft Licensing to be much like a mine field. I call it - the Microsoft License Minefield.... MLM for short. I'm currently undertaking a de-mining operation in order to understand all of what is required to get an app up and running. Thanks Microsoft for making this excessively complicated. I mean that in a kind way.... really.  😉

Gregg

AZ

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
CNT
Super User
Super User

@greggpowell 

Q1: Does the old name - Power Apps Plan2 correspond to what Microsoft refers to as the Power Apps per user plan? And does the old name - Power Apps Plan1 correspond to what Microsoft refers to now as the Power Apps per app plan? Yes (well roughly)

Q2: With a Power Apps per app plan - are multiple dataverse tables allowed (4 or more) all tied to the same app? Yes

I've attached the latest Power Platform Licensing Guide.

View solution in original post

PaulD1
Super User
Super User

Probably best to just forget about the old P1 and P2 plans.

My understanding as best as I can briefly explain it:

Power Apps connectors are classed as standard or premium. You can use standard connectors with O365 licenses for no additional fee. Premium connectors require a premium (per user or per app) license which is extra (even if you have higher level licenses like E5).

You can buy an expensive ($40 per user per month) 'per user' plan, which allows a licensed user to use as many Power Apps with premium connectors as you like.

You can buy a cheaper ($10 per user/app) 'per app' plan that allows a licensed user to access two specific Apps (which should be related to the same business function, though whether/how this is enforced I have no idea, technically I expect you can just use any two apps).

To build anything really robust, you'll need a premium connectors (otherwise you'll have to use SharePoint as a datasource which comes with all manner of limitations, issues and risks). All the really useful connectors like http are premium and even connectors to many other MS services (which you have to pay for separately) are premium, such as SQL Server and Azure Blob Storage. Some of the standard connectors (such as many of the cognitive services ones) don't expose all the parameters they should, so you may end up having to resort to http (premium) even to use these services for which connectors exist.

For larger customers there are discounts/sales on the licenses, so you may want to look into that, though if I were in charge of budgeting I wouldn't want to make long term commitments on the basis of discounts.

There is a preview 'Power Apps for Teams' version which allows you to use a limited version of Dataverse without a premium license. However this is

A) Preview (so, known bugs and flakey),

B) Only works inside Teams which may not work for your scenario,

C) Has various limitations (such as some features/controls are incompatible),

D) Is an even more limited version of Dataverse (which is already incapable of querying more than one join deep which makes it a poor choice for the sort of relational data scenarios I personally work with),

E) Not guaranteed to remain a free option.

OK, so that wasn't so brief and turned out a bit cynical, but hopefully of some use... 

6 REPLIES 6
CNT
Super User
Super User

@greggpowell 

Q1: Does the old name - Power Apps Plan2 correspond to what Microsoft refers to as the Power Apps per user plan? And does the old name - Power Apps Plan1 correspond to what Microsoft refers to now as the Power Apps per app plan? Yes (well roughly)

Q2: With a Power Apps per app plan - are multiple dataverse tables allowed (4 or more) all tied to the same app? Yes

I've attached the latest Power Platform Licensing Guide.

PaulD1
Super User
Super User

Probably best to just forget about the old P1 and P2 plans.

My understanding as best as I can briefly explain it:

Power Apps connectors are classed as standard or premium. You can use standard connectors with O365 licenses for no additional fee. Premium connectors require a premium (per user or per app) license which is extra (even if you have higher level licenses like E5).

You can buy an expensive ($40 per user per month) 'per user' plan, which allows a licensed user to use as many Power Apps with premium connectors as you like.

You can buy a cheaper ($10 per user/app) 'per app' plan that allows a licensed user to access two specific Apps (which should be related to the same business function, though whether/how this is enforced I have no idea, technically I expect you can just use any two apps).

To build anything really robust, you'll need a premium connectors (otherwise you'll have to use SharePoint as a datasource which comes with all manner of limitations, issues and risks). All the really useful connectors like http are premium and even connectors to many other MS services (which you have to pay for separately) are premium, such as SQL Server and Azure Blob Storage. Some of the standard connectors (such as many of the cognitive services ones) don't expose all the parameters they should, so you may end up having to resort to http (premium) even to use these services for which connectors exist.

For larger customers there are discounts/sales on the licenses, so you may want to look into that, though if I were in charge of budgeting I wouldn't want to make long term commitments on the basis of discounts.

There is a preview 'Power Apps for Teams' version which allows you to use a limited version of Dataverse without a premium license. However this is

A) Preview (so, known bugs and flakey),

B) Only works inside Teams which may not work for your scenario,

C) Has various limitations (such as some features/controls are incompatible),

D) Is an even more limited version of Dataverse (which is already incapable of querying more than one join deep which makes it a poor choice for the sort of relational data scenarios I personally work with),

E) Not guaranteed to remain a free option.

OK, so that wasn't so brief and turned out a bit cynical, but hopefully of some use... 

Yes - but in admin.microsoft.com under licenses - I am running a Power Apps Plan 2 trial..... when it expires, I'll need to buy whatever corresponds to that under the "new" naming convention. MS does a crappy job of naming. I could not find anywhere something that would tell me what the equivalence to "Power Apps Plan 2" was... hence the questions. Microsoft still refers to Power Apps plan 2 in some places - like licensing.

Paul - THANK YOU for taking the time to answer. You and CNT are splendid.

CNT - like I said to Paul - THANKS for taking the time to answer - you are splendid - it's the word of the day.

@greggpowell Glad to help! Have a great day!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,292)