cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power Apps ONLY for creating Phone or Tablet Apps (!) (?)

This may be worst question ever posted.....

Is PowerApps a tool for creating web apps, where the end users are accessing the app via a phone or tablet (only)? vs. creating a web app where the end user may be sitting at a desk and accessing the app via their laptop or desktop computer. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Power Apps ONLY for creating Phone or Tablet Apps (!) (?)

Hi @ec_correa

Basically the best way to start is to:

1) create a new blank tablet layout app in Studio (the table layout will fill the desktop screen)

2) connect the app to your SPO

3) build up the app and controls in Studio

4) run the app in a desktop browser via the link to the app

Please let me know if there are any of the above steps that need further clarification

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @rbe

This is an EXCELLENT question.  I think a lot of us are looking for a replacement for Infopath and/or Access Web Apps in desktop applications.

I am using PowerApps primarily for desktop applications, and it works wonderfully, much quicker than on mobile devices.  Try it and you will be converted (after in my case some initial difficulties in understanding the way things work).

I suspect the PowerApps team need to market this as a mobile/tablet only effort otherwise they would not get funded by Microsoft central given the mobile centric strategy.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi Meneghino. 

It's great to listen to someone trying to do that. I'm trying to use PowerApps to build custom forms in an SPO website (like a replacement of Infopath, as you mention), but really don't find a way to get started. Everything I find is related to mobile. 

Could you share some resources you use to get started in desktop? Or some clues? It'd be very much appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @ec_correa

Basically the best way to start is to:

1) create a new blank tablet layout app in Studio (the table layout will fill the desktop screen)

2) connect the app to your SPO

3) build up the app and controls in Studio

4) run the app in a desktop browser via the link to the app

Please let me know if there are any of the above steps that need further clarification

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thank you very much! Will start working on it immediately. In conceptual terms I understand what you mean. Let's see what I can build. Will come back for particular issues, for sure. 

Thank you for your support. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@rbe I too felt like it was a dumb question.  Yet here I am in June  2019 with a much more advanced version still wondering the same question.

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Kimmy I would suggest creating a new thread explaining the issue you're having so the community can assist. 

@TopShelf-MSFT 

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

I suspect the PowerApps team need to market this as a mobile/tablet only effort otherwise they would not get funded by Microsoft central given the mobile centric strategy.

Maybe, but I need an effective way for Power BI controls to contact a REST Service.  For whatever reason, Power BI DAX seems to be having trouble passing Slicer visualization parameters into my REST service so I figured I will need to write my own code to do that.  Unfortunately, writing a custom visualzation in Power BI has it's own issues.  The only way I could see to write *significant* "code" in Power BI was to use a Power App but Power Apps code seems limited to me.  In any case, I need to embed some controls into a Power BI Report and have those controls execute "code".  It doesn't necessarily make sense for me to use a Tablet or Phone layout for my Power "App" when I need to embed it into Power BI.

Honestly, I've found SQL Server Reporting Services and C# much easier to work with and more intuitive than Power BI and Power Apps, but my boss has asked me to learn Power BI.  It's been a very frustrating experience since I can likely do much of this stuff a lot easier with traditional C#, SQL and/or Haskell code with SVG or SSRS as the presentation layer.  I think Power BI and Power Apps are maybe good tools for end users, but it seems like they could possibly frustrate professional programmers to no end...  For one, if you wanted to do "serious" data analytics wouldn't you be using SQL or the R programming language?   The R programming language already has visualization built in and I believe Microsoft SQL Server has SSRS as an option that can be used standalone *without* writing C#, F# or VB.NET code assuming your organization is willing to pay the licensing fees.

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,307)