cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkoNose

Power Apps Plans

Hello,

my question is how exaclty do licenses work for PowerApps? So we have PowerApps for Office 365 and in order to use our SQL Server database I signed up for the Power Apps Plan 2 trial. But after that I can share the app and also allow other users to edit the app. So are the Power Apps Plans meant for users that will manage and create this apps or am I missing something? Or would every user have to have a license in order to use the apps that would have access to the data of our SQL Server.

Thank you for your answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

When did you sign up for your Plan 2 license?  I suspect it was before October 1.  If so then you are currently grandfathered in until next October, 2024.  Prior to October 1 the SQL connector was a standard connector and did not require an additional license.  After October 1 it became premium and does require either a per App for standalone per User license. If you were using the SQL connector prior to October 1 then existing Apps will continue to work under the old license model for an additional 5 years. There is also a one year waiver that extends all the capabilities of your license until next October.  SQL is a special case.

But in general all users who use an App must have licenses to cover any connectors used in the App. So if you were just starting now your users would need the same license as you to be able to use the App.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

When did you sign up for your Plan 2 license?  I suspect it was before October 1.  If so then you are currently grandfathered in until next October, 2024.  Prior to October 1 the SQL connector was a standard connector and did not require an additional license.  After October 1 it became premium and does require either a per App for standalone per User license. If you were using the SQL connector prior to October 1 then existing Apps will continue to work under the old license model for an additional 5 years. There is also a one year waiver that extends all the capabilities of your license until next October.  SQL is a special case.

But in general all users who use an App must have licenses to cover any connectors used in the App. So if you were just starting now your users would need the same license as you to be able to use the App.

View solution in original post

Thank you for your answer.

Yes I have signed up for the trial before October 1. It was used as a test and even before October 1st it statesd that at least one user has to be covered by the Power Apps Plan 1 in order to use the SQL connector. I have now also realized that we have gotten 10000 trial licenses and by sharing to project with another uer and that user automatically got a trial license.

I wish we had learned about PowerApps.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Is the SQL you are connecting to on-premises?  If so, that would be why ou were prompted for a P1 license before October 1.  It wasn't technically the SQL that required it, but to get to SQL on-premises you needed a gateway and that's been a premium function for almost a year.

AMT-James
Regular Visitor

In relation to this thread, we quoted a solution for a client that for 10 PowerApps that got approved before the licence plan changes. We explained these changes to the client and that we could create the inital PowerApps connecting to one SQL table and then work on these. The client understands they will have access under the Office 365 E3 plan until October 2024.

1. Unfortunately one of the PowerApps needed splitting into two as it was quite complex and needed a Customer and Vendor version. Our developer used the Save As to create the new PowerApp around October 10th 2019 only shortly after licence change. Is there any sort of discretionary change Microsoft can make to change this second one to Extended

2. This and one other one created after 1st October are showing as Premium due to this one SQL table connection. The client has however been testing for two months and not had any issues or messages about Premium plans. Looking at previous replies is this because you mention "special case" for SQL for 1 year and so does this mean these two PowerApps will stop working and display Premium messages on 1st October 2020 this year?

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The discretionary way to handle this is to open a support call and plead your case.  MA support can grandfather you in.  But its up to them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (40,190)