cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IdaTeknik

Power Apps - We encountered an unexpected error. Session ID:

Hello, we are trying to create a dataflow via Power Apps to get data (in Excel documents) from the Sharepoint Document folder to Dataverse. But we get the same error over and over again. We are system administrators.

This is what happens:

1. Creates a new dataflow: Power Apps -> Data-> Dataflows -> New dataflow -> Start from blank. Gives the dataflow a name. The version is always "Standard V1" or "Analytical".

2. We choose "Sharepoint Folder".

3. We enter the address: https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/sitename and signs in with our system administrator user. See image.

4. We press "Next" and "Combine" when we see the table with information about the Excel-files.

5. Then we get to this view, see image, and we can see the content from the first Excel-file in the Sharepoint folder. The Sheet1 contains the same table content but without the first row as headings.

6. If we press the dropdown and choose another file, see the last image, we get this error message and cannot continue to access the data in our Excel-files in Power Query:
"We encountered an unexpected error.
Session ID: 0b9808cf-dc2e-4fd2-a756-30fc91dce48e"

We don't get the error when we use CSV-files instead of Excel-files. Any idea of how to fix this issue? Or workarounds?

13 REPLIES 13
Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @IdaTeknik 

A common reason that an import will fail but a CSV succeeds is that the data in SharePoint contains "complex" types such as Lookup, Person, Yes/No, and Choice column types.  These columns are actually a table within a list and not a single data point. 

Andlin
Regular Visitor

Same problem here! We have made sure that the user is has the System admin security role in the Power Apps admin center but to no avail. My guess is that we are not alone in experiencing this issue. CSV-files works but not excel files. The Excel we are trying to import are real simple ones with no complex types. Thankful for any help that can point us in the right direction. Could it actually be a bug?

Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

. Have you tried converting the XL file to CSV and then back to an XL file?

Another thought: open the file in power query from excel and then save it as a new table and then try to import it again. 

Andlin
Regular Visitor

Thanks! All the suggested workarounds are good suggestions and we will try them. But how about Microsoft fixing the actual problem since this is obviously a bug? And also; it would be nice with an error message that actually said anything about what the problem is all about.

@Andlin I'm facing similar issue, were you able to resolve this issue? if yes, could you share me the solution? 

godala_vamshi_0-1612829293643.png

Andlin
Regular Visitor

Hi @godala_vamshi!

No, I wasn't able to resolve this issue. I did file a ticket to MS Support and yesterday I got the answer below.

"Hello Andreas,

Good day..!!
Status update on the case.

Our product team has found the cause of the issue and are working on the fix.
I will keep you posted regarding the progress.
We are actively following up with the team to get response.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Have a great day..!!"

@Andlin Thank you! could you please keep us posted here if you get any updates from MS. 

Will do! @godala_vamshi 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,068)