cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SVS_BI
Frequent Visitor

Power Apps on Mobile : Performance issue SQL backend

Hello All

We have built a power apps on mobile with SQL Connector .

1. Deployment on Android Mobile

2. Data Connector : SQL Connector

3. Number of Screens : 10 Screens  

We have two tenants one for test and another for Production. 

While it works well in test , in production it is struggling in performance . 

It is taking 25 seconds per db call.

The number of records that we are accessing is same in both test and production

We are using android with 4 GB RAM . Any recommendations

Any help or pointers would help us 

5 REPLIES 5
FabianAckeret
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @SVS_BI 

Did you try the monitoring tool? If so, what did it tell you?
If you didn't, here's a blog post about it:
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-monitor-to-debug-apps-and-improve-performance...

Kind regards,

Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. Like my answer? Consider giving it a Thumbs Up. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
SVS_BI
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the response @FabianAckeret , 

We did check the monitor . 

SQL server database is on premise on a physical server  .

One observation from monitor is :

Every database call whether clearcollect or Lookup is taking 25 seconds irrespective of number of records in the table . Master tables which have just 10 records as well as transaction tables having close to 500 records take 25 seconds each. This is in production environments. We are guessing it is not the table per se  but something in between which is causing it . Any pointers  would be a great help as operations have stopped 

In another environment with a VM hosted on azure cloud( test environment)  for the same app, it takes 7 seconds  to 9 seconds for all the tables . 

FabianAckeret
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@SVS_BI 

I'm afraid I am not the best person to help you on this one. Seems like its local, though. 

Did you try to install the gateway on a server/computer outside of your network (for testing purposes only)? Perhaps the firewall or anything else is causing it. Testing it outside of your network removes one possible cause.

Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. Like my answer? Consider giving it a Thumbs Up. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

I have an update .

Today we created a Azure VM with hosted SQL server and installed Gateway also in the same VM

App is fast .

Is it a good practice to have gateway and SQL Server on the same system ?  just wondering what could be the solution 

FabianAckeret
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Generally yes, the less distance to the server, the faster. However, I think you could have also optimized your network-environment to get close to the mentioned 7-9 seconds. 25 seconds is quite a lot and I wouldn't consider it as "normal". Perhaps its worth troubleshooting your network, if you don't want to stay on Azure machines.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (3,583)