cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

Power Automate - how to trigger an email workflow when 'Assigned To' value is changed to another 'Assigned to' value.

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me. I need to build a very simple wf which sends an email when the assigned to value changes to someone else. 

I am using the function when an item is created or modified but I am unsure what to put in the control condition. I really need something that triggers send an email when assigned to is not equal to current assigned to but I cannot figure out the current assigned to in terms of how to write this in the power automate flow without pinging an email every time the form is modified, as the form may be modified but the assigned to may not necessarily be the field that is changed. This workflow should only work on that one field. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pcoombe ,

Could you please share a bit more about the "Assigned To" field in your SP List?

Is your SP List a SP Task List?

Further, do you want to fire your flow only when the "Assigned To" field is changed (is not equal to previous value) rather than whenever the record is modified in your SP List?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I afraid that there is no direct way to achieve your needs in Power Automate flow. Currently, there is no direct way to get the previous stored value for a column in a SP List in Power Automate flow.

As an alternative solution, I think the "Send an HTTP request to SharePoint" action with help of List Versioning (enable List Versioning for your SP Task List) could achieve your needs. Please check and see if the following blog would help in your scenario:

http://johnliu.net/blog/2018/5/microsoft-flow-sharepoint-trigger-on-specific-fields-changed-via-sp-h...

In addition, as another solution, you could also consider add another column (called "Assigned To Copy", person type) in your SP Task List to store the previous stored value for the "Assigned To" column. When you create a new item in your SP Task List, set the "Assigned To" column and  "Assigned To Copy" to same value. Then you could configure your flow as below:

2.JPG

3.JPG

Please consider take a try with above two solutions, then check if the issue is solved. I think the second solution would be easier that the first one.

Note: I assume that the "Assigned To" field in your SP list is a single option field.

Best regards, 

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @pcoombe ,

The Flow needs to know both values, so send them both in the parameters to the item that is being changed. You would then have a Condition on those two fields not being equal.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pcoombe ,

Could you please share a bit more about the "Assigned To" field in your SP List?

Is your SP List a SP Task List?

Further, do you want to fire your flow only when the "Assigned To" field is changed (is not equal to previous value) rather than whenever the record is modified in your SP List?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I afraid that there is no direct way to achieve your needs in Power Automate flow. Currently, there is no direct way to get the previous stored value for a column in a SP List in Power Automate flow.

As an alternative solution, I think the "Send an HTTP request to SharePoint" action with help of List Versioning (enable List Versioning for your SP Task List) could achieve your needs. Please check and see if the following blog would help in your scenario:

http://johnliu.net/blog/2018/5/microsoft-flow-sharepoint-trigger-on-specific-fields-changed-via-sp-h...

In addition, as another solution, you could also consider add another column (called "Assigned To Copy", person type) in your SP Task List to store the previous stored value for the "Assigned To" column. When you create a new item in your SP Task List, set the "Assigned To" column and  "Assigned To Copy" to same value. Then you could configure your flow as below:

2.JPG

3.JPG

Please consider take a try with above two solutions, then check if the issue is solved. I think the second solution would be easier that the first one.

Note: I assume that the "Assigned To" field in your SP list is a single option field.

Best regards, 

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @v-xida-msft 

I was thinking about the assigned to copy option myself. It is not a task list, just a normal list, so I am thinking of having a wf set up that copies assigned to (person control) to assigned to copy (person control), and then as you say send an email when assigned to <> assigned to. 

Really appreciate your help in quantifying the fact that it looks like it has to be a workaround on this one. Cheers!

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (38,922)