cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Tile stopped Working

Connection from PowerBI tile to powerapps suddenly stopped working giving the error "the tile does not exist or you do not have access to view it". This issue seems to be known and others experiencing it have it randomly resolve. What are the next steps/trouble shooting steps to restore this connection? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

My take on the actual cause is a change in the power bi service in how the embed url's are formated.  In power apps the control creates the url when you choose your Workspace, Dashboard and then Tile.  If the power apps studio does not build a URL that is formatted the same as how the powerbi service creates them you will get a miss-match and then the error makes sense.  It is trying to connect to an object that does not exist.  Based on the timing and the fact most users had not made any other changes that could cause problems I can only assume Microsoft tweaked something in the power bi service and the corresponding tweak did not get made in power apps developer studio and now its apples and oranges in the URL code.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
kathyboots
Frequent Visitor

Experiencing same issue - it's been happening since this morning. Would like to know how to resolve. 

truongj
Frequent Visitor

I experienced the same issue.  The tile was working before 2/1/2021, but stopped working when I checked today.  I've confirmed the tiles are shared in Power BI still and my system meets all the requirements.  Can someone please advise if there's a change that I need to make to Power Apps?

AkankshaGupta
Frequent Visitor

Yes, Facing same issue . Power BI tiles were working till last week and nothing is changed neither in app nor in power bi tile but still it stopped working.

Any help would be highly appreciated . Thanks

Jeremy_George
New Member

Yes it has broke.  I found a work around where you can grab the embed url for a Powre BI REPORT and populate it into the power bi control "TileUrl" parameter in your app.  This will actually work and since it will bring up your content this is obviously not a sharing problem as the error message leads you to believe.  While the work around is useful it has some down sides.  It will frequently ask your users to log in to the service a second time after loading the app which is extra steps and pointless which means poor user experience.

This problem is creating issues in our organization as we share most of our power bi content through custom power apps.  This type of issue is in our perspective the same level as a power bi service outage and should be a priority.  However without something more than a community blog to report problems we have to wait for someone from Microsoft to happen by this problem which is already this morning 20 down from the top.  Come on MS we need you or you will force us to fine alternatives to keep our business critical infrastructure up and running.

My take on the actual cause is a change in the power bi service in how the embed url's are formated.  In power apps the control creates the url when you choose your Workspace, Dashboard and then Tile.  If the power apps studio does not build a URL that is formatted the same as how the powerbi service creates them you will get a miss-match and then the error makes sense.  It is trying to connect to an object that does not exist.  Based on the timing and the fact most users had not made any other changes that could cause problems I can only assume Microsoft tweaked something in the power bi service and the corresponding tweak did not get made in power apps developer studio and now its apples and oranges in the URL code.

View solution in original post

Thanks Jeremy!  I can confirm the workaround using the Power BI REPORT's embedded url in the power bi control "TileUrl" parament works.  At least this will buy some time until the corrective action from MS is put into place.

Your workaround works like a charm - thank you so much. I tried to do something similar, but my mistake was embedding the dashboard, not the report so the embed never worked. I hope they don't do anything that breaks the workaround during the actual fix of the original issue (I have a new project I've just launched and for this to break at the frequency that it did is a bit embarrassing). MS, seriously, please do better to communicate these bugs and issues with us users of the applications so we don't find it out through our stakeholders. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,093)