cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TPAd_Admin
Frequent Visitor

Power Platform environment and Excel

I am on such a learning curve...

I want to develop a workorder inventory system using the power platform. Reading and updating data from tables located in an excel workbook.

I have a sharepoint group teamsite (private). I have 6 channels set up to represent regions (northwest, northeast, midwest, mideast, and so forth). Currently, I am developing for only the mideast and will eventually replicate the development for the others. In the mideast library is an excel workbook with normalized tables and data content (Workbook 1). There is another workbook located in \mideast\managers\workbook2… This workbook queries the first workbook mostly through "connection only" with a developed data model. 

Not sure where to begin:

1). Do I want to get my data into power platform from the first workbook or second (no data model set up in workbook one)?

2). What type of power platform environment should I set up and where do I “import” the excel data – workflow, or lists… or other???

3). Can I maintain the data in the CDS instead by permanently migrating the data there? Or do I simply use the CDS while processing and then store the data back to the workbook?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
a-ovbord
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @TPAd_Admin,

Please go through this white paper on the link below https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerapps-canvas-app-coding-standards-and-guidelines/ as you have guidelines and best practices on how to start and structure the app depending on what you need.

Thank you,

Ovidiu

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
a-ovbord
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @TPAd_Admin,

Please go through this white paper on the link below https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerapps-canvas-app-coding-standards-and-guidelines/ as you have guidelines and best practices on how to start and structure the app depending on what you need.

Thank you,

Ovidiu

View solution in original post

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Can't wait to ingest it. I'm beginning to feel like Johnny 5 in the movie Short Circuit, "Input!...more input!"

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Can't wait to ingest it. I beginning to feel like Johnny 5 in the movie Short Circuit, "Input!...more input!"

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,368)