cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerApps Beginner

Hi,

I am extremely new to PowerApps and would like to know more before I dedicate any more time to research- because I was thinking about using InfoPath.

1. When you submit a PowerApps form, where does it go to? I connected one with my SharePoint list but when I submitted, it didn't show up in the list.

2. How do people access the list- would there be a link to the PowerApps form on SharePoint site like there is with Infopath?

3. I need a lot of different inputs from different people (marketing, finance, regulatory, etc.) and once submitted, I'd like a copy of the form to keep for historical purposes. Can this be easily done with PowerApps?

Thank you so much

1 REPLY 1
Paul_C
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for considering PowerApps! 

To answer your questions:

1. It goes to the data source the form is connected to. It will either update an existing record or create a new one, depending on what you tell it to do. Before the data source is changed, though, some things will be checked like, in the case of SharePoint:
    • Whether all the required fields are included on the form if creating a new record. (I expect this is the cause of the problem you experienced. You probably haven't included all the required fields. Right now this isn't very transparent in PowerApps. We have plans to make this experience better.)
    • Whether all the SharePoint validation rules are met.
    • Whether other SharePoint rules for the columns are met, like max length for text columns, and min value/max value for number columns.
  2. You can have a form inside SharePoint. Here's an example: https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/separate-custom-forms/ . Alternatively, you can also just have the PowerApp standalone and you and the other users can find it via the portal (web.powerapps.com) and add it to your phones.
  3. Yes, that's something you can do with PowerApps and SharePoint. Complexity will be added if you want all the different disciplines to see different views like this, but it is doable. For instance, you can let the app user choose from a dropdown whether they are marketing, finance, etc. And then click a button to go to the form, which could go to a different screen with a different form depending on what discipline they chose. Complexity may be aded or the historical copy, depending on what you mean by that, but it should be doable as well.

I hope this helps! Good luck making your decision!

- Paul C.
Software Engineer on PowerApps

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,421)