cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulD1
Super User
Super User

PowerApps Crashing in Browser (App not Studio)

I am investigating a Canvas App being run in Chrome (though I can confirm the issue occurs in New Edge as well) which is prone to regular crashes and has been for over a year.

When this occurs, the 'spinning wheel of death' appears for a few seconds and the App restarts itself.

The App does not crash when being run in Studio.

We have found some repeatable steps that cause the App to crash - navigating screens and interacting with controls in a specific order.

I have followed these steps while Performance Monitor is running and can see the individual calls recorded (5 getRows actions) immediately prior to a crash but none of these will cause the crash on its own - so I suspect this is not related to the network calls, but something happening internally that does not show up in Performance Monitor.

The App is quite large, 28 screens and around 50 (SQL) datasources (tables and views in the same database).

I'd welcome suggestions for how to progress... 

11 REPLIES 11
CarlLoz
Frequent Visitor

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. My App is not that complex. At startup it loads data from SP Lists and works only with local cached data (collections). You can click a button to present the (local) data in a nested Gallery. This has been working fine on Published versions 3.20081.23 and earlier.

Since version 3.20082.19 (probably earlier but I did not Publish) this crashing, exactly like PaulD1 described has been occurring when creating that nested Gallery. Not in Studio, only during runtime (Chrome, Edge and IE).

MS has collected traces and is investigating. Until now their feedback is to republish every day to see if the problem is gone. 🙊

They changed something in their release that breaks working Apps. The worse thing is that you find this out after you publish the app and then it's too late to go back. You cannot republish your app on that previous working release of months ago.

@CarlLoz 

I believe it is one of those 'hidden/unsupported features' (so use at your own risk) but you can publish with a prior version of studio to see if that helps.

You use a link like the example below:

https://au.create.powerapps.com/v3.20064.23.155867258/studio/?source=portal&environment-name=Default...

The v3.200xxx is the version number, so change that to the version you want to use.

You can get the version numbers from here (look for powerAppsClientVersion):

https://create.powerapps.com/debug.html

The link will open the previous version of studio specified and you can then re-publish your App using that version to see if that helps resolve the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (81,792)