cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

PowerApps Doesn't update numeric Values in a collection via Patch statement

The following patch statement does not update an integer column in a collection:

ForAll(RenameColumns(vRecommendationRowId,"Recommendation_ID", "vRecommendation_ID"),
    Patch(Recommendation, First(Filter(Recommendation, New_Recommendation_ID=vRecommendation_ID)),
          {
              RowId: Value(vRecommendation_ID),
              TempInt:   Value("2") ,
              ActualRowId: Value(888),
              UserId: "ABC"
          }
));

I have tried theTempInt: 2, TempInt Value("2"), etc. without luck.

Any ideas ?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: PowerApps Doesn't update numeric Values in a collection via Patch statement

Hi @vsslasd,

Does the TempInt column (Number column) have values within it already in your Recommendation collection?

The user @ChadVKealey has faced similar issue with you, please check my response within the following thread:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Expressions-and-Formulas/Patch-Problem-Existing-data-updated-new...

Currently, when updating a column value within a Collection using Patch function, the Patch function could only update the column which has value within it already, it could not update a column with a null or empty value within it.

As an fixed solution, please consider take a try to turn on/enable the "Formula-level error management" option within the Advanced settings of App settings of your app, then re-load your app, try your formula again, check if the issue is solved.

In addition, as alternative solution, you could also consider take a try to update your Collection using UpdateIf function rather than Patch function. Please take a try to modify your formula as below:

ForAll(
RenameColumns(vRecommendationRowId,"Recommendation_ID", "vRecommendation_ID"), UpdateIf(
Recommendation,
New_Recommendation_ID = vRecommendation_ID, { RowId: Value(vRecommendation_ID), TempInt: Value("2") , ActualRowId: Value(888), UserId: "ABC" } )
)

Please take a try with above UpdateIf function, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @vsslasd,

Do you wan to Patch the value to Recommendation.Columns when New_Recommendation_ID=vRecommendation_ID?

And vRecommendation_ID is one column in vRecommendationRowId which is replace the Recommendation_ID?

I tested as this and it works ok. And TempInt : Value(2) also works fine.

Step1: add the button named:Button_Recommendation and set its Onselect:

ClearCollect(Recommendation,{New_Recommendation_ID:"1", RowId:"1",TempInt:"1",ActualRowId:"1",UserId:"1"},{New_Recommendation_ID:"2", RowId:"1",TempInt:"1",ActualRowId:"1",UserId:"1"})

Step2:add the button named:Button_vRecommendationRowId and set its Onselect:ClearCollect(vRecommendationRowId,{Recommendation_ID:"1"},{Recommendation_ID:"2"},{Recommendation_ID:"3"})

Step3: insert one datatable and set its items:Recommendation

Step4:insert one button and set its Onselect:

ForAll(RenameColumns(vRecommendationRowId,"Recommendation_ID", "vRecommendation_ID"),

Patch(Recommendation, First(Filter(Recommendation, New_Recommendation_ID=vRecommendation_ID)),

{

RowId: Value(vRecommendation_ID),

TempInt:   Value("2") ,

ActualRowId: Value(888),

UserId: "ABC"

}

))

Hope this can be helpful.

test_PowerApps Doesn't update numeric Values in a collection via Patch statement1.gif

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vsslasd,

Does the TempInt column (Number column) have values within it already in your Recommendation collection?

The user @ChadVKealey has faced similar issue with you, please check my response within the following thread:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Expressions-and-Formulas/Patch-Problem-Existing-data-updated-new...

Currently, when updating a column value within a Collection using Patch function, the Patch function could only update the column which has value within it already, it could not update a column with a null or empty value within it.

As an fixed solution, please consider take a try to turn on/enable the "Formula-level error management" option within the Advanced settings of App settings of your app, then re-load your app, try your formula again, check if the issue is solved.

In addition, as alternative solution, you could also consider take a try to update your Collection using UpdateIf function rather than Patch function. Please take a try to modify your formula as below:

ForAll(
RenameColumns(vRecommendationRowId,"Recommendation_ID", "vRecommendation_ID"), UpdateIf(
Recommendation,
New_Recommendation_ID = vRecommendation_ID, { RowId: Value(vRecommendation_ID), TempInt: Value("2") , ActualRowId: Value(888), UserId: "ABC" } )
)

Please take a try with above UpdateIf function, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @v-xida-msft,

Yes. You are right and I have tested  if there is none in the collection and will not Patch data into it.

This maybe the cause.Many thanks.

Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

Kris,

So very many thanks for your assistance. This was a tricky issue. 

Your UpdateIf was a huge help, and that worked. We had to also rename columns yet again. PowerApps is very finicky about columns with the same name in different collections/sources.

This is the code that works:

If(Connection.Connected, 
ForAll(RenameColumns(vRecommendationRowId, "Recommendation_ID", "vRecommendation_ID","RowId","RID"),
    UpdateIf(
        Recommendation,
         New_Recommendation_ID = vRecommendation_ID,
          {
              RowId: Value(RID)
          }
)));

Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

Thank you, Kris. 

Is this a bug which you are reporting to Microsoft to resolve? 

I was able to get this to work using an UpdateIf for the Collection. But it will be a problem when we Patch to SQL Server using the same scenario (unless an UpdateIf can be used on a SQL Server table, but I don't think it can, it can only be a Patch Statement).

Thank you so very much, you have a big a great help with this!

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Robotic Process Automation

Let's talk about the solution provided by Microsoft for Robotic Process Automation (RPA)

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,529)