Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
milky_bar_may
Helper IV
Helper IV

PowerApps General Questions

Hi everyone,

I have tried using the ‘contact us’ with a few questions to talk to a Microsoft PowerApps sales agent. After using the form twice I still have not received a response.

With that could you help me with a few questions as I try to implement PowerApps in my company? Hoping to start us on our PowerApp journey. 

1: Can a PowerApp be hosted on a company website (and visitors to the website can use the app without registration or impediment?)

2: Is it possible to track usage metrics of a PowerApp (whether it is used on a website or from the PowerApp website?)

3: If I want to capture data that someone using the app enters, is there a way of creating a database of this information?

Thanks

Milky

6 REPLIES 6
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@milky_bar_may 

Sorry to hear that you didn't get any response...this is the best place to get questions answered.  

And here is what I can tell you:

1: Can a PowerApp be hosted on a company website (and visitors to the website can use the app without registration or impediment?)

No.  PowerApps needs to run in the PowerApp player.  This is either an App on a device or through the interpretive environment of the player in a browser.  You can link to a PowerApp, but that simply starts the Player with the app.

However, the more important point is that all users of the App need a license to use it.  So this rules out visitors.

2: Is it possible to track usage metrics of a PowerApp (whether it is used on a website or from the PowerApp website?)

Yes, there are many metrics that can be gathered from an app, but all in context of the App running in the player (app or browser).  

3: If I want to capture data that someone using the app enters, is there a way of creating a database of this information?

Yes, putting information into a database and interacting with data is what PowerApps is all about (mostly).  In regard to metrics, the best answer on that is using Application Insights.  It maintains all the metrics of the app and stores information about it in its own database.  Now, that is metrics, not data.  If you are wanting to use and store data, that is what you design your App to do.

Other options that might be of interest to you would be the PowerPlatform Portals for serving external users or visitors.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Just to add one thing to @RandyHayes answer to #1.  He is correct that you can't do this with Power Apps alone, but there is a way to do this using a Power Apps Portal.  The Portal can display apps and license them for anonymous access by page hits.  You can read more about the Portal here:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/portals/?ef_id=905e445bad8e193d187e1bf579cefbf4:G:s&OCID=AID21... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Pstork1 I did happen to mention that in the last sentence 😉 

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Sorry, I missed that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
milky_bar_may
Helper IV
Helper IV

Thanks both, @RandyHayes and @Pstork1 

If I use the Portal for external users, how do I capture their data input? 

Is the app used as the database as well as the service? 

Thanks

Milky

jlynch

I am trying to automate a contract lifecycle process. I am looking to put buttons, perhaps through powerapps into emails so a request for review comes through via email and the receiver has buttons in the email like approved, schedule a call, needs redlines ect. once he clicks on the button I want to integrate that with Share point so in short request comes in via email, he clicks approve that is logged in Sharepoint, and then I can pull the reporting information through PowerBI. Reaching out to see if anyone has done this and what the best way is to integrate sharepoint and outlook. 

Best, Jlynch 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (2,617)