cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrianCCampbell
Resolver I
Resolver I

PowerApps Licensing question - Per App plan

I have a PowerApp that lives in our default environment. it is licensed and all 40 end users are consuming the app with the "allocate per-app pass for this PowerApp" and everything is working as expected. I am about to release a second PowerApp and had to create a different environment to allow the use of Geo-spatial maps in the app. I got an inkling from my own attempted use of the new app, that my per-app license doesn't apply since it is a different environment and it asks if I want to start a trial. This got me thinking (and worrying). 

I need to move my first PowerApp that is in use by end-users into the newly created environment since they are related and share the same resources, but I am worried about the licensing implications and the actual logistics of doing that. I understand I will need to make a copy of the existing app and import it to the new environment to fix up the connections, share it out with the users, but after that what will happen to the licensing? Do I need to delete the original PowerApp in the original environment to free up the per-app licenses? The existing PowerApp utilizes the SQL connector so the app itself does require a license.

Does anyone have any experience with things like this that can share some wisdom?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gabibalaban
Super User
Super User

Hi @BrianCCampbell ,

First, if you want to move an app from an environment to another the only way is to export - import it as an app or as a solution. Yes, there can be some connections issue, but i don't think to be unsolvable as you use SQL connections. 

Regarding, the licensing question, you can move the PowerApps per-app license (as add-on) from an environment to another using Power Platform Admin Center -> Resources ->Capacity -> Add-ons, by changing the number of licences from old environment to 0 and alocate this number to the new one.

In this moment, if a user want to access the app (still shared from the old tenant) the system checks the existence of licences allocated to the old environment and will return an error (as now this number is 0). 

The last step is to stop sharing the app from the old environment and share the app from the new one. 

Of course, it could be a downtime of the app when you made this changes and for that is recommanded to let the users know about the changes. 

Hope it helps !

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
CNT
Super User
Super User

@BrianCCampbell Yup the Per App Licensing (let me call it PAL) is a bit difficult to grasp but not unachievable. First, 1 PAL = 2 Apps, that means for 1 license you have access to 2 Apps. In your case, you have 2 Apps with 40 users and you need Only 20 PALs.  PALs are not assigned to users but they are Capacity Add-ins. 

These add ins can be used in any environment. You can have 10 for your default environment and 10 for the other environment. You set it up in the Power Apps Admin Centre,

CNT_0-1621880857053.png

Here you can add as much as you need for each environment. So, you don't need to move your Apps around 🙂

gabibalaban
Super User
Super User

Hi @BrianCCampbell ,

First, if you want to move an app from an environment to another the only way is to export - import it as an app or as a solution. Yes, there can be some connections issue, but i don't think to be unsolvable as you use SQL connections. 

Regarding, the licensing question, you can move the PowerApps per-app license (as add-on) from an environment to another using Power Platform Admin Center -> Resources ->Capacity -> Add-ons, by changing the number of licences from old environment to 0 and alocate this number to the new one.

In this moment, if a user want to access the app (still shared from the old tenant) the system checks the existence of licences allocated to the old environment and will return an error (as now this number is 0). 

The last step is to stop sharing the app from the old environment and share the app from the new one. 

Of course, it could be a downtime of the app when you made this changes and for that is recommanded to let the users know about the changes. 

Hope it helps !

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,257)