cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

PowerApps Licensing

Hi, is it just me or is Microsoft really confusing with required licenses?

We currently have a company with a Office 365 E5 license, and we're creating PowerApps within the company. Currently we're storing our data to a SharePoint list but are considering using SQL server because of SharePoint filter limit of 5000. 

For making use of SQL server you need a custom connector which require a per user plan / per app plan. Do all the employees need a plan for being able to use the app, or am I (the app creator) only require a plan?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Mitchelvdh ,

Two things - yes you do need a Per User licence for each person connecting to SQL and also the 5,000 SharePoint item limit is only a issue with Classic views (SharePoint) and at times with unindexed SharePointcolumns (Power Apps). We have SharePoint lists and Libraries with tens of thousand of records/files operating perfectly well on Power Apps.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @Mitchelvdh ,

In order to use the app every user needs to have the proper licence. As your app will use in the future the SQL premium connector all users needs to have allocated at least a per user/per app (run single apps) plan.

Hope it helps ! 

Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Mitchelvdh ,

Two things - yes you do need a Per User licence for each person connecting to SQL and also the 5,000 SharePoint item limit is only a issue with Classic views (SharePoint) and at times with unindexed SharePointcolumns (Power Apps). We have SharePoint lists and Libraries with tens of thousand of records/files operating perfectly well on Power Apps.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Thank you for your fast reply!

As a Power Apps starter with some (webdevelopment) experience, could you provide me with some more information about the unindexed SharePoint Columns?

Also we are going to create an app for a big organisation in the city, we might need storage for more than 50.000 records. In that situation, does SharePoint still fits better than SQL server? Or is it required to clean up the SharePoint list once in a while to keep the app performance normal? If you have any other suggestions, let me know 🙂

Hi @Mitchelvdh ,

Firstly, SQL will do a better job (considerably at times depending on your data query needs) if you are prepared to pay for the licenses, however as I mentioned SharePoint does the job for us with what we need. You can always look at a "hybrid" model and synchronize SQL with SharePoint with SQL for reporting and SP for input.

Regarding unindexed fields, I have had a couple of issues on large lists with normally delegable queries not working properly on unindexed fields. Easy enough to fix generally - you can index up to 20 columns.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (79,731)