Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KJC
Helper I
Helper I

PowerApps - Link SharePoint List item

Hi,

I created a simple Power App that is connected to a SharePoint List. When a user presses the submit button in Power Apps it creates a SharePoint List item and then an approval Flow is triggered. However, I cannot get a link to the item in the Approval, I need the approver to click a link so they can see what they approving. 

When I first test within Power Apps it all appears to work fine. But when testing with a live user the Flow keeps failing as it does not grab the ID of the SharePoint List item. Please see attached the error I keep getting. 

I'm so close to creating my first app so any help would be amazing.

Many thanks 

Cover image preview

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PTBBSolutions
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @KJC ,

If I was building this, I would change the flow to not be called by the app, but to have a trigger "When an item is created". From there, you can always capture the current record's ID and pass it in the approval step.

In the app itself, keep only the submit form.

Please let me know if this helps or you need further help.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PTBBSolutions
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hello @KJC ,

What are you using to write data back to the SP (I would assume Patch?) How is yor flow triggered (from the Power App or from an event)?

Hi, 

I am not using a patch. I have added a Form in Power Apps and set default to 'New'. This is triggered by a button that 'OnSumbit' calls the Flow below. I thought I could capture the data in 'Compose' and then use the SharePoint Link to item. I have also tried hard coding List Item URL and then ID, but neither works. Do you think I would need a patch? or can you advise if there is a better way? any links to videos\help would be much appreciated. 

Flow.jpg

PTBBSolutions
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @KJC ,

If I was building this, I would change the flow to not be called by the app, but to have a trigger "When an item is created". From there, you can always capture the current record's ID and pass it in the approval step.

In the app itself, keep only the submit form.

Please let me know if this helps or you need further help.

Hi,

Thank you for your advise. I had a test and that certainly seems better, and I more comfortable using that trigger. There are so many ways of achieving a specific outcome, it good to get someone else view, Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,759)