Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahogan
Advocate I
Advocate I

PowerApps Portal, Embedded Power BI, and Premium Capacity

Hello,

I have recently gone through the process of standing up a PowerApps portal tied to a D365 environment hosted in Dataverse. I built a dashboard for the Portal based on data in one of the environment tables using a Power BI Pro license, and published it to a Power BI workspace. I followed the steps to register an app user for the dashboard and to enable Power BI embedded in the portal successfully, and have the dashboard showing in my portal. As of today, however, the embedded report is showing a warning that it is a trial and I need to buy premium capacity in order for it to be a production report.

I was not aware I was working at a trial capacity and am perplexed as the documentation I followed to implement this did not seem to suggest that I would need to allocate premium capacity to show the dashboard out on my portal. It looks like premium capacity starts at about 60k/year and I would only need it for this one report, so obviously it is not a viable solution. Am I missing something here?

1 REPLY 1
Ginko
Helper III
Helper III

Nope, you got it right. It is incredibly frustrating that PowerBI and PowerApps are separately licensed products with very different access capabilities depending on licensure. Where PowerBI requires the developer to be licensed but end users can view with the correct permissioning, PowerApps forces both the developer and any end user to be premium licensed just to view the app if there is even a single premium license feature within. Its ridiculous, a huge limiter in deployment. Doesn't matter how you embed, you're cooked unless you take out all premium PowerApps features/connections.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (4,754)