cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndreaGetty
Regular Visitor

PowerApps/SQL Azure/Large Dataset?

Good morning PowerApps gurus,

I'm looking for guidance on how to handle large datasets.  I am currently running a SP2010 installation with lists over 40K records and climbing.  Currently I have increased the threshold in 2010, but I know that that's not an option in SP Online. So, I have access to Azure SQL that I can store my data in.  My questions arise, is PowerApps/SQL Azure and SP Online the right solution for this.  I'm looking to collect data via tablet, save it somewhere, allow end users to report on it and export it to Excel.  There is some filtering I can do, but the data is more of a transactaional nature.

Thanks in advance.

Andrea Getty

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

If you need the ability to pull large datasets, more than 2,000 records, on to the device to work with them locally then PowerApps probably isn't a viable choice no matter what the data source backend is.  But other than export, which can be done in reasonable size batches, there usally aren't good reasons for pulling that much data at any one time.  After all a user isn't going to browse through 2,000+ individual records looking for a specific record.  No matter what application development environment you use its always a best practice to put reasonable limits on the amount of data that you pull from a database either by limiting fields or records or both.

One of the advantages of SQL over SharePoint for your scenario is better support for delegable functions to decrease the size of the dataset returned.  But if that can't be done then PowerApps isn't a good choice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

If you need the ability to pull large datasets, more than 2,000 records, on to the device to work with them locally then PowerApps probably isn't a viable choice no matter what the data source backend is.  But other than export, which can be done in reasonable size batches, there usally aren't good reasons for pulling that much data at any one time.  After all a user isn't going to browse through 2,000+ individual records looking for a specific record.  No matter what application development environment you use its always a best practice to put reasonable limits on the amount of data that you pull from a database either by limiting fields or records or both.

One of the advantages of SQL over SharePoint for your scenario is better support for delegable functions to decrease the size of the dataset returned.  But if that can't be done then PowerApps isn't a good choice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,198)