cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

PowerApps SharePoint integration edits first list item instead creating a new list item

I have build a SharePoint list with a custom form using the standard "PowerApps -> Customize forms" feature plus some additional tweaking. Overall that works as expected, but recently (with increasing user base) we're experiencing intermittent issues. Althought I tried a lot I could not reproduce the issue so far, therefore I summarize observations and user feedback:

Users want to create a new list item and click the "New" button on the SharePoint modern list page. Mostly the custom from shows up with empty fields for the user to populate and to create a new item. Sometimes the custom from shows the fields populated with data of the first list item. Users think that would be a template, they overwrite the data and save the item. At this point the users overwrite the first list item with the data of the item they wanted to create new. Initially I thought it would be a user error, but version history of the first list item shows that this occurred minimum 5 times in the last 2 weeks.

To me it looks like ... when clicking the "New" button, PowerApps SharePoint integration sometimes edits the first list item instead of creating a new item.

I wanted to check with the community:

• Has somebody observed similar issues and can recommend how to deal with that?
  • Any advise how to collect more evidence or even reproduce the issue?
  • Any advise for a workaround or even better a fix?

I very much appreciate your support, thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: PowerApps SharePoint integration edits first list item instead creating a new list item

Hi @heldry ,

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned. Please consider take a try with the following workaround:

Set the OnNew property of the SharePointIntegration control to following:

Refresh('YourSPList');  // Add this formula
NewForm(SharePointForm1)

Set the OnEdit property of the SharePointIntegration control to following:

Refresh('YourSPList');
EditForm(SharePointForm1)

Set the OnView property of the SharePointIntegration control to following:

Refresh('YourSPList');
ViewForm(SharePointForm1)

Please consider take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Re: PowerApps SharePoint integration edits first list item instead creating a new list item

Hi Community Support Team,

Many thanks for your response!
I have just implemented the suggested workaround.
Will monitor for some time if the issue still occurs and provide an update here in the forum.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @heldry ,

Have you taken a try with the solution I provided above?

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved your problem, or the solution I provided above is helpful in your scenario, please consider go ahead to click "Accept as Solution" to identify this thread has been solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

After a few days of monitoring I can confirm that the workaround does not fix the issue.

Today the issue occured again and luckily the user provided detailed feedback. The issue occurs under these conditions:

• User has not used the PowerApps form before.
  • User clicks "New" and PowerApps requests the user to grant access/premissions.
  • Right after that PowerApps opens the first existing list item in edit mode (instead of creating a new blank list item). Typically at this point  the user overwrites existing data in the SharePoint list.
  • After access/premissions was granted to PowerApps this issue cannot be preproducted anymore.

So PowerApps seems to have a bug when user clicks "New" and has to grant access/premissions to PowerApps. In this situation PowerApps opens the first list item in edit mode instead of creating a new list item.

Please investigate this and advise if there is a fix or workaround.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Today I could reproduce the issue with a few new users.

It is independant of OS and browser and occurs only to new users who have not yet granted permission to PowerApps to use the data conections. User clicks "New", grants permission and then PowerApps opens an existing items in edit mode instead of creating a new, blank item.

The item that is shown in edit mode is determined by the Item propperty of SharePointForm1. By default PowerApps set this to

If(IsBlank(SharePointIntegration.Selected) || IsEmpty(SharePointIntegration.Selected), First('SharePointDataConnection'),SharePointIntegration.Selected)

In this case the first list item will be opened in edit mode ... and that was already overwritten several times.

Toda I changed that propperty to

If(IsBlank(SharePointIntegration.Selected) || IsEmpty(SharePointIntegration.Selected), LookUp('SharePointDataConnection',ID=34),SharePointIntegration.Selected)

Now it shows the item with ID=34 in edit mode. That is a test item and less annoying if overwritten.

Please advise a fix or workaround

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

do you have an update on this issue please ?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

if this only happens with new users, there is a PowerShell command to set canvas app to bypass API consent 

Set canvas app to bypass api consentSet-AdminPowerAppApisToBypassConsent
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Sorry for my late reply ... due to permission issues I would not run the command and Get-AdminPowerApp does not even show attributes for my own apps. Finally our admin granted me temporarily admin permissionsand I could run Set-AdminPowerAppApisToBypassConsent

However a few hours later I had the next occurence where the app has overwritten an existing list item instead of creating a new, blank one. So the setting "Set BypassConsent = True" does not solve the issue.

I have a formal ticket open with MS, but there is not really progress and I am not confident to get a workaround/fix soon.

Has somebody else in the community experienced this issue and found a way to deal with this issue? Your recommendations are highly appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,146)