cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Re: PowerApps - Slow Page Switch

@dyee4613 

Take a look at the OnSelect on the Radio Control in my sample.  That is very important in the sample so that it updates the information in the collection properly - and thus has a value.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
dyee4613
Level 8

Ah!  There it is.  That fixes it.  Thanks Randy!

dyee4613
Level 8

@RandyHayes  I have one more question for you!  The app has been rebuilt and it is a whole lot faster!  I am likely going to do with all my other question-heavy apps.  After the data has been patched into my data, I'd like to give the user the ability to look at past entries.  Previously, I did this with a duplication of the form that used gallery1.selected.  Is there a way to accomplish something similar using the gallery?

Super User
Super User

@dyee4613 

Well now...the plot thickens!  In general, when you set out to design your app, you'll want to really consider all of the actions you will take on your data (view it, Edit it, "new" it, filter it, group it, etc. etc.)  That will help you determine the best design to start with.  Sometimes it is a design change that dictates that the data changes.

As is your case....I think I have an understanding of your datasource at a high level, and it is a bit horizontal.  Ideally, you would want to get to a more row and data structure for larger sets of information (i.e. lots of columns that relate to lots of questions in your case).

Be that as it may...I was intrigued as to how to best go about vertical to horizontal data translation - while adding the ability to review information and add new information.  

SO...guess what..  See the attached updated app.

Here are the highlights:

1) See the App OnStart Action for the sample collections being used in this demo.

2) Now a Gallery2 for the list of each record of results in the collection.

3) The old Gallery1 still is connected to the question list.

4) The Radio control has to translate the horizontal to vertical in a Switch statement (this could get long and nasty on a huge set of questions) BUT...because there is ONLY 1 radio control, you only have to deal with it in 1 place.  See the OnSelect action of the radio control for patching action (NOTE: due to a bug in the way Patch will not patch a local collection with a blank value, we had to switch to UpdateIf...just as easy.  The issue is known and in fact a posting today about it).  Also see the Default property as this is where the translation happens for the default value.

5) Radio controls will not "go blank" even if assigned a blank default...you have to reset them to get that to happen...so, there is also a Toggle control in the Gallery that "monitors" the value to be blank...if it is blank, it resets the radio.  This is only needed for adding new records (see little plus icon under the new gallery). See the OnCheck action on the toggle for more details.

There are a couple other little bonus things in there.  Let me know if you have questions.

Enjoy!

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,114)