Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

PowerApps Usage in Dynamics 365

Hi,

Is there any way to track new items added to our D365 database by existing PowerApps?

Is there a marker somewhere you can track, or would it be something that has to be added in to the app when building it?

Thanks in advance

Matty H

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Re: PowerApps Usage in Dynamics 365

Hi @MattyH 

Directly this is not doable. But as a workaround, you can create a new attribute in the entity and wherever you are making changes from the app, pass the value as "Canvas", this way while sending the report, you can only add the records that has the new attribute value as "Canvas", thus are edited inside the canvas app.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

You can turn on auditing in Dynamics to track any changes to the database.

Here is an article that walks through it:

https://crmbook.powerobjects.com/basics/data-management-in-microsoft-dynamics-crm/auditing-in-micros...

---
Please hit the "Accept as Solution" button if my post answered your question! If my post was helpful please consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Highlighted
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

Thanks for your response, but that's not what I am looking for. We are already using the audit trails for certain things, and it only seems to show the user that made the changes, not whether they were using the PowerApp or a desktop PC to make those changes.

I want, ideally, to be able to report back to my managers the actual amount of changes made specifically by the app, as part of an ongoing business case proof.

Matt.

Highlighted
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Anyone out there have any other suggestions?

MattyH

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

You have not mentioned how you are adding records to Dynamics via Powerapps, however it would appear that the way you save the record needs to be modified in the Powerapps App and you could possibly achieve that by adding additional information.

Highlighted
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

It is using a standard SubmitForm, adding a new measurement record for an existing item on D365.

Specifically a new weight for an animal.

Matty.

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Hi @MattyH 

Directly this is not doable. But as a workaround, you can create a new attribute in the entity and wherever you are making changes from the app, pass the value as "Canvas", this way while sending the report, you can only add the records that has the new attribute value as "Canvas", thus are edited inside the canvas app.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@yashag2255  - Thanks for the workaround. I will give it a try.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

You can add a Patch Statement to update 'Unique Field' (for example) in 'addition' to your SubmitForm using something like this

Patch(
Contacts, [@ModelDrivenFormIntegration].Item ,{'Unique Field': "Powerapps" }
);

Helpful resources

Announcements
Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,535)