cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

PowerApps cannot integrate into PowerBI

Good morning,

I had recently made a post on the PowerBI community regarding an issue with integrating PowerApps into PowerBI located here:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/PowerApps-cannot-integrate-existing-app-to-PowerBI/m-p/8492...

I was advised by a community support member to gain help via this community forum. So to sum it up there are two issues that I see:

1- Cannot import PowerApps visual with a newer report. Visual not found in marketplace.

2- Using an older report with PowerApps already installed, cannot correctly integrate with PowerApps

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: PowerApps cannot integrate into PowerBI

Hi @MrNguyen 

The visual has now moved to the Visualizations gallery as a Core Visual. You should be able to find it along with the other visuals.

On the other thread (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/PowerApps-cannot-integrate-existing-app-to-PowerBI/m-p/8492...) you mentioned that you are able to include data when you create a new Power App from the visual. Does this PowerApp not render correctly inside the Power BI report?

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

HI @MrNguyen ,

For your first question, do you mean that the "PowerApps Custom Visual" does not show up under the Visualizations list panel? If the "PowerApps Custom Visual" is not shown up under the Visualizations list panel, please consider import it from Power BI marketplace as below:

5.JPG

If the "PowerApps Custom Visual" is not available within your Power BI marketplace, please consider submit an assisted support ticket through the following link:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/ 

For your second question, could you please share a bit more about this issue? I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned? The Power BI report with PowerApps Custom Visual installed already works well on my side:

6.JPG

Please check if you have enough permission to use PowerApps Custom Visual within your Power BI report. If you want to use PowerApps Custom Visual within your Power BI report, you must own Power BI Pro license for your account.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-xida-msft 

Let me detail you my issue here. I will begin by opening a new report. I'm currently on the September 2019 Desktop version:
pbi_version.png

Here's my current visualization pane:
pbi_visual_pane.png

I went to the marketplace to search for PowerApps and cannot find:
PowerApps_PowerBI_missing.png

I go to the marketplace to search for PowerApps from this official link:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/powerapps-custom-visual

pbi_error.png
Finally, maybe I deleted the visual on accident. Restore default and same result:
restore_default.png

From here I'd like to share a few things:

1- I have a Pro license:
2- I am a Premium Capacity Administrator

3- I have previously and successfully built PowerApps into PowerBI PA visual

As a demo, I will use an older report which has PowerApps visual already installed (version 2.1.4). Here is the result and steps of my test today:
1- Navigate to make.powerapps.com
2- Create a blank canvas app from blank:
powerapps_canvas.png

3- Save and publish.
4- Open PowerBI Desktop (with an older report which as PowerApps visual) and create a new PowerApps visual
5- Add in PowerApps Data:
powerapps_data.png
6- Select "Choose App" and select the new app just created.
7- A new prompt will ask to save app in PoweApps Studio to save connection:
powerapps_save_to_studio.png
8- Check to see if PowerBI integration connection is available:
powerbi_integration.png
9- Yes, it's enabled. Using gallery test for field values. Set Gallery Items to PowerBIIntegration.Data:
gallery_pbi_data.png
10- Test for values from PowerBI Integration:
period.pngGM.pngNIS.png
11- No fields found.
12- Save and publish to see if it even loaded into PowerBI PowerApps visual:
blank_gallery.png

Demo 2: Open and Edit an existing PowerApps with PowerBI Integration:
1- Open PowerBI report with PowerApps visual already integrated
2- While inside PowerBI, edit PowerApps and navigate to PowerApps studio:
powerapps_goto_studio.png
3- PowerApps studio opens with PowerBIIntegration connection:
pbi_integration.png
4- Yes, it's still enabled. Check gallery Items property for PowerBI Integration:
demo_pbi_integration_gallery.png
5- No issues, look if there's any real connection between connection and PowerBI:
empty_gallery.png
6- Gallery is empty. No information or values are shown whereas a few months ago it displayed information from PowerBI report.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MrNguyen ,

Currently, I could not reproduce your issue on my side. I think this issue is related to Power BI Visual in Power BI Desktop and Power BI service, please consider submit an assisted support ticket for further help through the following link:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro

In addition, same issue occurs in Power BI Service? Have you taken a try to add a PowerApps Custom Visual in a report within Power BI sercice?

The user @dayananthan has faced similar issue with you, please check the response within the following thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/PowerApps-Custom-Visual-for-PowerBI-Issue/td-p/612934

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-xida-msft 

Thanks for the suggestion via adding it from the service. It actually gets successfully hooked properly when adding the visual to the report. From there, I can switch back and work on the desktop version again. 

These are the steps I had to go through for the workaround:
1- Publish report to service:
pbi_publish.png
2- Edit report via service.
3- Add visual to report and select application:
pbi_app.png
4- Edit app in Studio and do test similar to previous thread comment
5- PBI integration connector successfully hooked via gallery test:
success.png

I will still report the issue since the visual is missing from my desktop and the connection isn't properly hooked.

Highlighted

@MrNguyen, Glad to hear that is now working for you.

PowerApps was added as a Core visual in the October update
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-october-2019-feature-summary/#powerApps

Please update the PowerBI Desktop application.

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,148)