cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

PowerApps for Windows Desktop Client - DOES NOT SUPPORT LATEST RELEASE!

Hello PowerApps team,

I want to start this post with saying that you guys have made some incredible improvements over the past year, and despite some ongoing issues, I have been able to work around most problems up to this point...until now.

As of yesterday, I finally completed an updated release of an app one of my clients uses in the field.  It now has true offline capability, a major feature requested by said client.  Imagine my suprise when launching my app for testing on the PowerApps Windows Desktop Client that it's not compatible with Windows!

When running my app in the Windows client, I am greeted with the following error:PowerApps Windows Desktop error.png

In addition to this error, my app does not sync any data.  My clients have been running this app on Windows 10 devices up to this point - and now I have to tell them to use a tablet or else they can't utilize the Offline Features. 

Because of the above, can any Microsoft reps please comment on the following questions:

• Why is PowerApps not supported on Microsoft's proprietary OS?
    It seems completely bizarre that Windows, of all OS'es, is the platform with the least support.

• What is causing the error I'm seeing?  Is there a way to work around it?

• What is the release schedule for PowerApps for Windows Desktop?  I have not been able to locate any useful information on this through searching.

• Will this error be addressed in the Power Platform release wave 2 - scheduled for October 4th in my region?

• Will this be an issue going forward?  Will the latest release of PowerApps cause the apps used by my Windows-using client to break on a consistent basis?

This is a major issue for me at the moment, I cannot recommend a product to my client when it doesn't even work consistently on their chosen platform.  The Windows Desktop App is even shown as supported on the System Requirements page!

I have posted several issues in the past that have received little to no response from Microsoft representatives...however this is a major problem that might tank a project - can I please have some feedback from a member of the Microsoft team?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: PowerApps for Windows Desktop Client - DOES NOT SUPPORT LATEST RELEASE!

Hi @AccuFloDev ,

This is known issue that PowerApps desktop version isn't capable of SaveData or LoadData. 

Currently, within PowerApps, the authoring experience in PowerApps Studio desktop has been deprecated at June 1st 2018, the PowerApps Studio for Windows is still used to play/run an app.

More details about the updates in PowerApps Studio desktop, please check the following blog:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerapps-studio-for-the-web-is-generally-available-for-p...

If you want the PowerApps Studio desktop functionality to be improved/updated, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Fourm:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hello @v-monli-msft ,  in regards to your previous post:

Currently, within PowerApps, the authoring experience in PowerApps Studio desktop has been deprecated at June 1st 2018, the PowerApps Studio for Windows is still used to play/run an app.

More details about the updates in PowerApps Studio desktop, please check the following blog:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerapps-studio-for-the-web-is-generally-available-for-p...

The article you linked refers to deprecating authoring features in the Windows Desktop App. 
The article does not state that the Windows Desktop App as an app player is being deprecated.

My issue is that I cannot run an app that I recently completed in the Windows Desktop player.
This is contrary to what this article on PowerApps System Requirements says:

Supported platforms for running canvas apps using the PowerApps app
Minimum required Recommended
iOS 9.3 or lateriOS 10 or later with at least 2GB of RAM
Android 5 or laterAndroid 7 or later with at least 4GB of RAM
Windows 8.1 or later (PC only)Windows 10 Fall Creators Update with at least 8 GB of RAM)

In regard to:

This is known issue that PowerApps desktop version isn't capable of SaveData or LoadData. 

If this is a known issue, where can I find information on it and when it will be fixed? 
The PowerApps desktop player was working just fine for SaveData and LoadData on my app up until last week, my most recent update.  There has been no update to the PowerApps Desktop App that would have disabled this function.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Is there an update to this? There is no need for an idea submission, we just need to know if the desktop player is going to be supported or not. Lot more organizations are using this stuff. Need to know please.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,783)