cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

PowerApps form not updating to a Sharepoint List Lookup field

I have two SharePoint lists that I am managing through PowerApps.

The first list is a list of managers, the second list is a list of employees with a SharePoint Lookup column to the manager. Sharepoint also brings in a second column from the managers table via the lookup function. I'm not sure if that's contributing to the problem or not. The Manager column in the Employees table is a required field.

I have a Form in PowerApps that links to the employee list and uses a dropdown to choose an appropriate manager. When the user submits the form, that field is not updated back to sharepoint, but the other fields are.

The Form Card DataField value is the correct name that matches the SharePoint list name.

Any ideas what I can look at to get this to work?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: PowerApps form not updating to a Sharepoint List Lookup field

@JoshEnglish 

What does your Items property look like for your DropDown Control for managers?

That will give some better answer for what you can do, but in general, you'll need to supply the proper lookup record for the lookup column.

Let's assume the DropDown has a DataSource of ManagersList.

If so, then consider putting the following in the Update property of your DataCard in your form:

{
   Value: ManagerList.Title,
   ID: ManagerList.Id,
   '@odata.type': "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference"
}

Try that out and see if you get further.

I hope that is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

After many delays, I've managed to get back to this issue and the Update value you offered isn't working.

The Dropdown in the card has an Items value of

Choices(EmployeeList.Manager)

In the final application that would be filtered by a region option as well.

Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

Hi Josh,

I just did a quick app from sharepoint list after building building two lists mimicing your scenario. The auto generated app seems to be working fine. 

The key properties for the dropdown datacard have these settings..

DataField: Manager

Default: ThisItem.Manager

Update: DataCardValue5.Selected

DataCardValue5 is my dropdown control in the datacard. The Items property matches yours Choices(EmployeeList.Manager)

Are you seeing the value being updated in the PA? Are you getting any errors?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

If I create a form from SharePoint, I see the same behavior, but I don't see any way to use this form to add new items to the SharePoint List.

I suspect my company is using a different release or version of Sharepoint. I have to bring up the List ribbon, go to List Settings, then click on Form Controls to get any options to automatically create a form.

I think I was using the Classic Experience because I tried the New Experience and it now looks more like some of the tutorial vidios.

But even upgrading to the New Experience doesn't update this field. 

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@JoshEnglish 

Try changing your Items from choices to full records so that you have what you need for the formula to work.

When you use Choices, you only get a single column table of Values.  We need the ID and Value.

So, set your ManagerList DropDown Items to your Manager list datasource.  Set the field to display in the dropdown as the Title.

Then use the Formula from before to do the update:

{
   Value: ManagerList.Title,
   ID: ManagerList.Id,
   '@odata.type': "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference"
}

I hope that is clear and helpful.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @JoshEnglish can you review the above reply and update the thread if it was helpful? 

Thank you,

@Anonymous 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue.

I have three custom fields.

First field is pulling customer names data.

Customer_Dropdown   Sort(Distinct(Customers,Customer),Result)

No Issues with Powerapp form and no issue with populating the list

Second field is pulling Capital FY data.

Capital FY_Dropdown   Sort(Distinct(Filter(Programs,Customer=Customer_Dropdown.Selected.Result),'Capital FY'),Result)

No Issues with Powerapp form and no issue with populating the list

Third field is pulling Program names data.

Sort(Distinct(Filter(Programs, Customer = Customer_Dropdown.Selected.Result, 'Capital FY' = 'Capital FY_Dropdown'.Selected.Result), Program), Result)

PowerApp from populates data for Customer and Capital FY with no issues.

Data for Program does not populate the list.  The list column for Program is Lookup.  Customer and Capital FY is not.

Program Field Card information.

DataField "Program"

DisplayName "Program"

Required false

Default ThisItem.Program

Update Program_Dropdown.Selected

I noticed for the other two cards for the Update property the parameter is "The dropdown name".Selected.Result

That parameter does not work for Program.  Returns error and an Update link appears above the Update property.

Pressing the link does nothing for the error.

Highlighted

I am also have a similar issue. I am trying to create a travel request form, and I am very new to PowerApps. 

My Power Apps form is pulling from two data sources:

1) Travel Requests

2) Current Projects

The idea is that employees will choose the Charge Code that they will be travelling under, and the form will automatically bring in the Project Name, Customer Name, and Contract/PO Number from the Current Projects data source. 

The Charge Code, Project Name, Customer Name, and Contract/PO Number are all being pulled from the Current Projects data source. In the Travel Request SharePoint list, all of those fields are single line of text.

Then, in PowerApps, I removed the textbox data card for Charge Code and replaced it with a Dropdown input (naming it Dropdown 1). The Items property formula is: SortByColumns('Current Projects'.Title,"Title"). This field is working wonderfully and when the form is completed, the Charge Code that is selected is added tot he SharePoint form. 

Project, Contract/PO, and Customer are all single line of text fields, and in the "Default" property for those fields in the PowerApp form, the formula reads: LookUp('Current Projects', Title = Dropdown1.Selected.Title, Project). When employees are filling out the form, these three fields auto populate in the form, but the data does not transfer to the SharePoint list once the form is submitted. 

I am stil very new to PowerApps, so there may be another setting that isn't right....Does anyone have any thoughts? 

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@KimiHR 

Apologies that I am just noticing this post.  You posted on the end of an old posting.  

Are you still having the issue?  If so, you might want to open a new thread on the forum with the problem you are experiencing.  That will get you quicker resolution. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,769)