cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iaison
Regular Visitor

PowerApps form (with cascading dropdowns) not populating Sharepoint list

Howdi All,

I'm having an issue with a PowerApps form not populating a Sharepoint list for 4 x cascading dropdown menus (populated from another SharePoint list). The form populates the rest of the sharepoint list without issue, however the dropdowns generate null.

I suspect the data from the field is not being sent to Sharepoint, however I am not sure where this option would be.

Any assitance would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It certainly needs a value - it should be Result looking a the formula before - also try Value and 'Product Family'

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
PowerAddict
Super User
Super User

What is the Update property of these dropdowns? Also, how are you submitting your form(s)?

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos (Thumbs Up). And if this solves your problem, please mark this reply as a solution by selecting Accept as Solution. This makes it easier for others to find answers to similar questions. 

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | YouTube  |  Email

The Update options are:

Division: ddDivision.Selected.Value
Product Family: ddFamily.Selected.Value
Product: ddProduct.Selected.Value
Account Manager: ddManager.Selected.Value

All dropdowns are populated from another Sharepoint list called Products.

Items:
Division: Distinct(Products, Title)
Product Family: Sort(Distinct(Filter(Products, Title = ddDivision.Selected.Result),'Product Family'),Result)
Product: Filter(Products, 'Product Family' = ddFamily.Selected.Result)
Account Manager: Sort(Distinct(Filter(Products, Title = ddDivision.Selected.Result), 'Account Manager'),Result)

The form is being submitted by clicking Save in the top left.

I hope this makes sense...

Thank you for that info. What function are you using for the Save button? Is it SubmitForm or Patch?

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos (Thumbs Up). And if this solves your problem, please mark this reply as a solution by selecting Accept as Solution. This makes it easier for others to find answers to similar questions. 

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

Sorry for the confusion....

The save button is the default one on the top of the PowerApps form.

Save, Cancel, Copy Link, Customize with PowerApps

Tagging @WarrenBelz who has worked with SharePoint. He should be able to guide you the best. 

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

Thanks @PowerAddict ,

@Iaison
From your description you have drop-downs with the Items Property

Division: 
Distinct(
   Products, 
   Title
)

Product Family: 
Sort(
   Distinct(
      Filter(
         Products, 
         Title = ddDivision.Selected.Result
      ),
      'Product Family'
   ),
   Result
)
Product: 
Filter(
   Products, 
   'Product Family' = ddFamily.Selected.Result
)

Account Manager: 
   Sort(
      Distinct(
         Filter(
            Products, 
            Title = ddDivision.Selected.Result
      ), 
      'Account Manager'
   ),Result
)

Three things I need

• The control names of each of these drop-downs
  • The type of field in your data source on each you are writing to on each (Text, Choice etc)
  • I know some of the values here, but for your benefit in the future - do a test on each and put a label on the screen with the Text value (use your control name) and start typing (note the dot after Selected)

YourDropDownName.Selected. ​

and see what value comes up underneath. Type this in and select a value in the drop-down and make sure you can see this value in the label. This is the value you will need to use in the update, but the code could be a bit different.

Hi @WarrenBelz,

Thanks for helping out here.

Division dropdown = ddDivision
Product Family dropdown = ddFamily
Product dropdown = ddProduct
Account Manager dropdown = ddManager

All were set up as text fields (and still are in the Sharepoint) and the Control Type changed in PowerApps to 'Allowed Values'.

The way I've set it up is:

Example Sharepoint list (called Products)

Title                         Product Family              Product                           Account Manager
Division Name        Software Name             Module Name                 Manager Name        

Division (ddDivision) is pulled from (Products, Title)

Product Family (ddFamily) is dependant on ddDivision

Product (ddProduct) is dependant on ddFamily

Account Manager (ddManager) is dependant on ddDivision

I made the label as per your advice and it does not show anything unless I make it ddName.Selected.Result

Wierdly, ddProduct.Selected. or ddProduct.Selected.Result does not return any results.

I checked the Update fields and it was showing ddName.Selected.Value (instead of ddName.Selected.Result). If I can figure out the reason for ddProduct.Selected.Result not being an option, I think we've cracked it!

Hi @Iaison ,

Please forget about the built-in dependencies for the moment  - what are the Items property of each of the drop-down?

Apologies @WarrenBelz 

Items Properties:
ddDivision = Distinct(Products, Title)

ddFamily = Sort(Distinct(Filter(Products, Title = ddDivision.Selected.Result),'Product Family'),Result)

ddProduct = Filter(Products, 'Product Family' = ddFamily.Selected.Result)

ddManager = Sort(Distinct(Filter(Products, Title = ddDivision.Selected.Result), 'Account Manager'),Result)

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,989)