cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerApps implementation of InfoPath rules

To whom it may concern,

As I understand, PowerApps web-forms are being spruiked by inetersted partes as the successor to InfoPath forms.

Ceratinly, it appears very straightforward to create simple PowerApp versions of existing SharePoint custom lists.  However, as a user/designer of InfoPath forms over many years, one of the most useful features was the application of rules.

So my question is, if the intention is to replace InfoPath forms with PowerApps web-forms, how does one implement rules?

For example:

• Formatting rule:
    • Hide a control
  • Action rules:
    • Show a message,
    • Switch between form pages (Does PowerApps easilypermit other form pages to be developed?)
    • Set a field's value,
    • Query for data, (I  have only seen information on connecting to primary data, but what about multiple data sources like XML files?)
    • Submit data (seems straightforward enough for saving data, but I'm not sure about any other submit like email)
    • Close the form
  • Don't run remaining rules if the condition is met

Regards,

Nik.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Meneghino
Level 10

Re: PowerApps implementation of InfoPath rules

Hi @Anonymous

It is all possible and relatively straight forward in PowerApps too.  You just need to change the way you think.

To hide a control, you just use the control's Visible property, and it can be set to a formula that depends on other dynamic values.

To show a message, you place a label and use the label's Text property or Visible property to show when appropriate.

To switch between pages you use the Navigate action

To query for data you use the shaping functions (Filter, Search etc.)

To submit data you use the Patch function, to send an email you add Office365 connection and then the send email function appears

To close the form you use the Exit function

To not run 'rules' you just put the logic in the control properties.

It's all in the documentation, although sometimes not very well explained.

PS I always start to build my forms from the single controls instead of using the out-of-the-box forms available.  In the end this is much easier if you require any customisation.  In other words I start with a blank app instead of creating the app from data, and I don't use the form controls.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Meneghino
Level 10

Hi @Anonymous

It is all possible and relatively straight forward in PowerApps too.  You just need to change the way you think.

To hide a control, you just use the control's Visible property, and it can be set to a formula that depends on other dynamic values.

To show a message, you place a label and use the label's Text property or Visible property to show when appropriate.

To switch between pages you use the Navigate action

To query for data you use the shaping functions (Filter, Search etc.)

To submit data you use the Patch function, to send an email you add Office365 connection and then the send email function appears

To close the form you use the Exit function

To not run 'rules' you just put the logic in the control properties.

It's all in the documentation, although sometimes not very well explained.

PS I always start to build my forms from the single controls instead of using the out-of-the-box forms available.  In the end this is much easier if you require any customisation.  In other words I start with a blank app instead of creating the app from data, and I don't use the form controls.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

Highlighted
ChinoDoesStuff
Level: Powered On

I recently posted a short tutorial on the subject of Rules in PowerApps that I think may be useful for you.

https://youtu.be/9IgGn0adhtA

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,808)