cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramsy
Level: Power Up

PowerApps is very slow in updating data

One friend recently recommended PowerApps could be a good choice to make a Warehouse Management System for my small company. I find it is vey easy to use and I started my own application that stores scnned barcodes in an OneDrive Excel file.

The problem I have is that it is extremely slow in updating data to the file. I tried it in two different ways:

1. write to the file after each barcode scan - it takes more that 3 seconds to update a value

2. collect the barcodes into a collection and patch the collection to the file when pressing a button - it takes more than 30 seconds to patch a dozen of values

There is no way this is acceptable, I need it to store more that 2000 lines and search through this data!

What am I doing wrong?

Is there other way to speed the thing up?

I also tried doing the same but with a Google Sheet and it is significantly faster, but I need the Excel file because I have to manipulate the data with some VBA macros right after scanning.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mogulman
Level 8

Re: PowerApps is very slow in updating data

Another option is to use an on-premise SQL Server and the data gateway (free for now).  You can use SQL Server Express (free).  The only problem unless you have a good internet connection you could experience some delay.  It is a great way to develop app.   It comes with SQL Profiler so you can see PowerApps interacting with DB.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ramsy,

Where did you encounter this issue? On a mobile? Is it iOS or Android? Have you tried with other devices to have a test? 

I think the issue is related to the Barcode control. You could try to delete this control and test again. 

For information about limitations and best practices when you use a Barcode control, see Scan a barcode.

• To delay running out of memory on devices that are running iOS, set the Height property of the Barcode control to 700 (or lower) and the Scanrate property to 30.
  • If the device runs out of memory and the app freezes, restart the app.

Best regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mogulman
Level 8

I recommend you rethink the solution.  Saving to Excel will never be fast for intense production apps.  I would switch to Azure SQL DB.  This is a high performance connector.   I develop a lot of Excel VBA addins (.xlam).  You can easily connect to Azure SQL DB and download required records, manipulate them and upload them.  This is very fast.  I don't know what  you want to do with records but maybe you could create SQL stored procedure.

ramsy

Hi Mona.

I'm using the ScanBarcode() function, not the Barcode control, on several Android smartphones and internet connections.

The delay is not due to the scanning, but during the data update into the source...

ramsy

Azure SQL DB is too expensive for me, my company is very small.

But I do have a VPS with a MySQL database. I have tried to connect it but I didn't succed... Do you have any recommendation on that?

Thank you!

mogulman
Level 8

Azure SQL DB Basic plan is $5/month.  That should provide more than enough bandwidth.  That is what I'm using.

mogulman
Level 8

Another option is to use an on-premise SQL Server and the data gateway (free for now).  You can use SQL Server Express (free).  The only problem unless you have a good internet connection you could experience some delay.  It is a great way to develop app.   It comes with SQL Profiler so you can see PowerApps interacting with DB.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,286)