Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NoumanQ
Advocate II
Advocate II

PowerApps on Android TV

Dear Team,

I am planning to deploy PowerApps application on TVs across rooms which will be connected to a device like Xiaomi Mi Box with Android TV 6.0. I am curious is someone has tried running powerapps on Android TV via sideloading or any other method? In principle, should it be fully compatible?

Nouman

4 REPLIES 4
cherie
Power Apps
Power Apps

Hey,

We don't test PowerApps on Android TV so I'm not sure if it will work. Do let us know if it does. 

If it doesn't, I would recommend using the browser and using our web version.

Thanks!

Cherie

AW
Helper II
Helper II

We have done this on one Android TV. Unfortunately, while it does work, the experience hasn’t been great. I was busy so I had my tech set it up - so I was unable to see the process, but was told it was a struggle. I think they had to side-load the app.

Once loaded, it started well. I’m using it as a status board to display our service tickets - which has worked well on windows and iOS devices. Over time, the app would freeze and close (as far as I understood). The tech then tested running the app on the built-in web browser, which he thinks is more dependable, but I don’t like the additional browser content that distracts from the apps. Also, my plan is to develop apps for the field and I don’t want it to look like a patchwork. I had hoped an integrated Android TV with only a power cable would be a simple solution but in our test, it won’t work well enough. 

Disclaimer, as a cheap test, we used a low-end, first-gen Android TV. Perhaps there are better models. The app is very simple, just 2 simple SharePoint lists, with a few sum statements and a 3-min refresh. 

I also tried 2 other apps and 2 Android media boxes; again, cheap units - $50-$80. Similar results; it works but the app often closes unexpectedly. Even being cheap, it removes the benefit of the integrated solution. I have tested very well on a $150 Windows HTPC and TV. 

For the browser content, you can full screen your browser and add &hideNavBar=true to the url and that would hide our Power Apps nav bar as well. That should show just your app.

Good to know. I'll try that. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,539)