cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klip28

PowerApps query of 2000 items and permissions

I am curious of this. If I have 10,000 items in a SharePoint list but a user only has access to say... 300, when the user loads the Power App and it queries the 10,000 item list will I run into the 2,000 limit powerapp query issue, or will the 300 items that the user has access to show up? I am curious what takes precedence?

Does the query first try to get 10,000 items or will it just surface the 300 that the user has access to?

What happens in this situation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@klip28 

This all depends on how you can delegate your criteria to the list.  PowerApps is limited to a maximum return of 2000 records (as set in the record limit).  This is, however, a record limit for records returned, it does not mean you cannot work with larger lists.  

If the query/criteria you supply to the Filter is delegable, then PowerApps can "send" the criteria to the datasource and let it do the query and return the results (still maximum of 2000).  And in your case, if that is delegable, then for the user, they would get 300 records.

If it is NOT delegable, then PowerApps must pull ALL of the records to the app and then run the criteria against the records it gets...which would only be the first 2000 records.  So your results would not be complete.

The key is delegation!

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@klip28 

This all depends on how you can delegate your criteria to the list.  PowerApps is limited to a maximum return of 2000 records (as set in the record limit).  This is, however, a record limit for records returned, it does not mean you cannot work with larger lists.  

If the query/criteria you supply to the Filter is delegable, then PowerApps can "send" the criteria to the datasource and let it do the query and return the results (still maximum of 2000).  And in your case, if that is delegable, then for the user, they would get 300 records.

If it is NOT delegable, then PowerApps must pull ALL of the records to the app and then run the criteria against the records it gets...which would only be the first 2000 records.  So your results would not be complete.

The key is delegation!

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,669)