cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

PowerApps to control smart plug

I would like to turn on and off a few lights from smart plugs with PowerApps. I see there is a guide from @ThatAPIGuy for IFTTT. However, a lot of people are mentioning IFTTT is not going to stay for long. Is there any alternative solution? I'm looking for a reliable service for what I need.

Controlling Smart Home Devices from PowerApps from TheAPIGuy.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Webinars-and-Video-Gallery/Controlling-Smart-Home-Devices-from-P...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

HI @WhatisPowerApps ,

As far as I know this is the only guide that I know of when thinking of connecting PowerApps to Smart Devices.

However, you could try and accomplish this by yourself by creating a custom connector, as long as the IOT device is exposing the API. If it has an API you can control it. You need to consider also that the API has to be configured with a specific media type, in our case is application/json because that's what Power Platform knows, other devices may have SOAP instead of REST, meaning that they will expose the data in XML rather than JSON.

Another thing that may happen is that most smart home devices will require a HUB to function, and the HUB has an API that you can tap into. So in essence if you see your light switch as a controller, it will connect to the HUB which connects to the Internet and exposes the API via a key. Once you collect this key you can control the hub and the smart devices in your home.

However, I don't know if anyone else in the community has another insight on this that might help, but in essence you can always try and create a customer connector yourself to wrap around the device you want to perform actions into. 

I hope this information has helped you in any way!

Regards,

Ricardo

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

HI @WhatisPowerApps ,

As far as I know this is the only guide that I know of when thinking of connecting PowerApps to Smart Devices.

However, you could try and accomplish this by yourself by creating a custom connector, as long as the IOT device is exposing the API. If it has an API you can control it. You need to consider also that the API has to be configured with a specific media type, in our case is application/json because that's what Power Platform knows, other devices may have SOAP instead of REST, meaning that they will expose the data in XML rather than JSON.

Another thing that may happen is that most smart home devices will require a HUB to function, and the HUB has an API that you can tap into. So in essence if you see your light switch as a controller, it will connect to the HUB which connects to the Internet and exposes the API via a key. Once you collect this key you can control the hub and the smart devices in your home.

However, I don't know if anyone else in the community has another insight on this that might help, but in essence you can always try and create a customer connector yourself to wrap around the device you want to perform actions into. 

I hope this information has helped you in any way!

Regards,

Ricardo

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,858)