cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmelanie
Frequent Visitor

PowerApps vs Sharepoint

Hi, 

I have a large amount of data  stored in excel files for which I need to be able to filter through it and export the query result as a pdf/excel/word document.

Additionally I will need to be able to restrict access to some features for certain users (read only, read/write, administrator), and be able to allow certain users to modify or add data in these excel files. Other features this system need to include are audit trails and purging of data a user has added when he/she leaves a group.

I have looked into PowerApps and Sharepoint as two options to create such a system. Which would be the better option? I am aware of the 2000 row limit in PowerApps but I believe collections can be used to bypass this limit when needs be although I haven't tried it out myself. I am not knowledgeable about Sharepoint and what I learned about it through peers and online resources is still a bit hazy to me so I'm not sure if maybe Sharepoint would be a better option.

Any suggestions would be of great help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

@gmelanie ,

Power Apps does not store data - it needs a data source as well such as SharePoint. The 2,000 item limit is only in relation to non-Delegable queries and can generally be managed with a bit of thought on data structure. All the things you mentioned could be achieved in Power Apps using SharePoint as a data source.

I have a blog that may assist getting you started.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

@gmelanie ,

Power Apps does not store data - it needs a data source as well such as SharePoint. The 2,000 item limit is only in relation to non-Delegable queries and can generally be managed with a bit of thought on data structure. All the things you mentioned could be achieved in Power Apps using SharePoint as a data source.

I have a blog that may assist getting you started.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

HI @gmelanie ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Thank you so much! Your reply and the linked blog posts were super helpful 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,593)