cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mer-Petti
Helper I
Helper I

PowerBI.RefreshDataset RunTime Error

I have been using the Power BI setting inside of my PowerApps without issue.

However today my users are getting a "Throttle" error. 

MerPetti_0-1652208724279.png

The code has not changed within the Application or the PBIX file.  However, when I check the PBIX is is refreshed. Is this a bug?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes that solution would work as long as it doesn't conflict with other refreshes. I am not sure how many times at once your users use it but I have created flows that will refresh and I put in a do until success those have not had an issue with.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Crullgl
Helper II
Helper II

Normally this happens when you have multiple datasets refreshing around the same time.  I recommend looking at schedules to see if you can stager them based on how long it takes if you have a lot.  You could also build a flow to autom refresh which gives you a little more flexability then the built in refresh in settings for your dataset. 

Refresh operation throttled by Power BI Premium

A Premium capacity may throttle data refresh operations when too many datasets are being processed concurrently. Throttling can occur in Power BI Premium capacities, or more rarely, in Premium Gen2 capacities. When a refresh operation is canceled the follow error message is logged into the refresh history:

The operation was throttled by Power BI Premium because there were too many datasets being processed concurrently.

If the error occurs frequently, use the schedule view to determine whether the scheduled refresh events are properly spaced. To understand the maximum number of concurrent refreshes allowed per SKU, review the table at the bottom of the Premium limitations section.

To resolve this error, you can modify your refresh schedule to perform the refresh operation when fewer datasets are being processed, increase the time between refresh operations for all datasets in your refresh schedule on the affected Premium capacity, or do both. You can retry the operation if you're using custom XMLA operations.

Here is link to those errors Troubleshooting refresh scenarios - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hope that helps

Mer-Petti
Helper I
Helper I

The problem is multiple users. If I set the refresh from Power Apps and I have multiple users that are submitting updates it's getting bottlenecked. I'm opting to remove this function from my application and instead using Power Automate to push a refresh once every 2 hours on offsetting time intervals. 

Yes that solution would work as long as it doesn't conflict with other refreshes. I am not sure how many times at once your users use it but I have created flows that will refresh and I put in a do until success those have not had an issue with.

HamidBee
Post Patron
Post Patron

When I use the PowerBI.RefreshDataset command I get an error in Power Apps. Here is the link to my question. I'd greatly appreciate any help.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/RefreshDataSet-is-an-unknown-or-unsupported-...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,883)