cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UC3378
Helper III
Helper III

Powerapp calendar vs sharepoint calendar

I am trying to build a calendar app in powerapps which connects to the sharepoint calendar for booking the company car.  I felt it was best to connect to sharepoint calendar, that way I don't have to store the data.  But as I am building this out, I was wondering what is the purpose of building this app if everything can be done in sharepoint instead?  I believe sharepoint allows you to do flows for approvals/rejections of bookings.  The only positive for building the app is that you can book it even when you are out of the office.  Can anyone tell me any positives for building the app vs just doing it on sharepoint instead?   I am pretty sure someone will be asking me this, and I want to be sure I am doing this out of pure need.  Thanks. 

8 REPLIES 8
JR-BejeweledOne
Super User
Super User

The first thing I can think of is usability.   You can create your PowerApp so it can be used on a Mobile device.   This is a powerful reason in itself to use PowerApps as the front end for this calendar.  

You have a bit more control over the layout and colors etc. if you use PowerApps also.

If you like this post, give it a Thumbs up. If it answered your question, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

@JR-BejeweledOne ,

Thanks for your feedback.  Yea I do think the ability to use the app on the mobile anywhere outside the office would be a deal breaker.

PaulD1
Super User
Super User

You may want to check out Room and Equipment mailboxes in O365 (if you haven't already) as a potential alternative:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/admin/manage/room-and-equipment-mailboxes?view=o365-world... 

v-yutliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @UC3378 ,

Do you want to know the differences between sharepoint calendar and powerapps calendar app?

Firstly, as @JR-BejeweledOne  said, device.

Sharepoint calendar could only run in website or on desktop.

While powerapps app could run in website, desktop and mobile phone.

Secondly, function.

Functions in sharepoint calendar are much simpler than powerapps app. You could only book meeting and room, display events and edit events.

While in powerapps app, you could only update, display, edit event, you could also display available time, available room as data, not only in calendar.

You could also send email. What's more,if you need, you could connect with many data sources. An app could be connected with outlook calendar, but also office 365 users, ect. Then you could customize more functions.

To sum up, if you want to use calendar in mobile phone and more complex functions, please try powerapps calendar app.

If you want simpler functions, you could choose sharepoint calendar.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@PaulD1 ,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I think equipment mailboxes is a legitimate solution as an alternative.  But because I am also developing a mileage log app, I think it might make more sense to combine a car booking calendar with the mileage log as one app, vs having a mileage app, and a separate outlook car calendar.  Your thoughts?  Thanks.

@v-yutliu-msft ,

Thank you for your suggestions.  It makes sense. 

>>But because I am also developing a mileage log app, I think it might make more sense to combine a car booking calendar with the mileage log as one app, vs having a mileage app, and a separate outlook car calendar.  Your thoughts?  Thanks.

Wouldn't booking the car be one action (possibly done via laptop) and registering the mileage another action (done on mobile when taking or returning the car)? I think if they are two separate interactions, then using the equipment booking feature of O365 and a simple App for confirming you have taken/returned the car (along with the mileage) could work.

We have previously put a Power App interface over O365 room/equipment booking but it is hard to match the built in features. E.g. Moving bookings was problematic because the O365 connector only lets you see available resources for the proposed new time - if you are trying to move 1pm to 3pm, to 2pm to 4pm you won't see the resource you want to move becuase it overlaps the new time, so the user must delete the existing appointment before they can check if they can make the amendment - inferior UX to the built in features.

Also, if users will book cars one way and other equipment a different way, that may cause confusion/training issues in the long run, or you may even be asked to extend your car booking App to cover other assets as well.

I would push for using O365 room/equipment booking for the 'appointment' and then an App for recording the mileage. You might even be able to include a link to the mileage app in the confirmation emails or appointment created in O365.

@PaulD1 ,

Thank you very much for your thoughts on my question.  Sorry I have not responded sooner.  My intention is to have two apps in one via a start screen to let them select.  I find that when they are out with the car, they find the need to book a car on the spot without going back to the office to do it.  But I do understand your side of the coin.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (965)