cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerapp rotates the icons I have placed in my screens when the published app is played but plays OK in the Studio editor.

Hi Everyone.  Working on my first proper powerapp but have a problem.  Its early days so mostly incomplete but I have 2 screens in use.  The landing screen has a gallery to find an item in a Sharepoint list.  Clicking an item in the gallery takes me to my main screen.  When you play the published app and the main screen loads, the "Right" icon I used for the 6 menus and a "Back" icon are rotated about 80 degrees clockwise (see pic below).  The app works in the Studio editing environment with the Alt key or if played and the icons are the built in ones. 

2-IconsRotatedApprox80Degrees.PNG

None of the icons have anything other than 0 in the rotation property and all the rotated icons are rotated by the same amount.  I used the built-in Gallery for the landing screen and the chevron it uses is not affected.  Only icons placed by me are affected so I am betting that some "responsive" property setting is causing this to happen.  The layout for the main screen is called "Sidebar" and is a built in structure offered to you when you add a new screen.

Any ideas where to start looking? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

After a lot of testing I have figured out what the "Rules" are for my problem.

If you nest a generic Container (like Container2 below) inside a Vertical or Horizontal one (like Container3) then any and all inserted Icons (like Icon2 below) on any screen will be rotated when you play the published app.  This is regardless of if the icon is inside a container or not (which was the most surprising bit to me).

RedRushFan_0-1606863302429.png

So the fix was to cut all the bits I had placed inside the various nested containers and paste them back, higher up the stack.  I then could delete all the empty nested Vertical and Horizontal Containers created by the template offered when you add a new screen.  I then scooped related items into Groups to help me manage them.

So my question now is "It all worked in the Studio when you hold Alt or click Play so is this a bug that will be fixed for published apps or was it simply my error in terms of applying these containers and it is a "mistake" that it works when played in Studio?"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User II
Super User II

A few questions

1. Are you using the new flexible containers?
    • You mentioned 'responsive' which leads me to believe this may be the case
    • Is your app's 'Scale to Fit?' setting True or False?
  2. Are these all OOB icon controls?
    • Moreover, is the Rotation property explicitly the number 0, or blank, or something else?

Hi Gareth.  Thanks for helping 🙂

Easy bit first.

All the rotated icons are the built-in ones from the Insert>Icons menu.

They have rotations of "0" (left as default initially and then retyped as 0 later) and are not blank or subject to a formula / expression of any kind.

The basis of my main screen is the "built in template" screen called "sidebar".  It consists of some nested containers to give a full height sidebar area on the left (with my menus in it) and a panel on the right that has a "header" container.

Where possible I have used "custom" rather than "container" for alignment.  I have switched off "Wrap" and "Flexible width" for the nested containers - Is it possible that trying to create a largely "non-responsive" fixed(ish) layout may be the issue?

My "Back" icon and the "Sort" icon are close to the top of the stack in their respective screens and are not subject to any formatting constraints - they were just placed, scaled and then an "onselect" expression was added.  They both function correctly even when rotated.

The fact that using the Back icon to re-load the landing screen results in the Sort icon being rotated seems like it should flag something (as it is OK when that screen initially loads).

After a lot of testing I have figured out what the "Rules" are for my problem.

If you nest a generic Container (like Container2 below) inside a Vertical or Horizontal one (like Container3) then any and all inserted Icons (like Icon2 below) on any screen will be rotated when you play the published app.  This is regardless of if the icon is inside a container or not (which was the most surprising bit to me).

RedRushFan_0-1606863302429.png

So the fix was to cut all the bits I had placed inside the various nested containers and paste them back, higher up the stack.  I then could delete all the empty nested Vertical and Horizontal Containers created by the template offered when you add a new screen.  I then scooped related items into Groups to help me manage them.

So my question now is "It all worked in the Studio when you hold Alt or click Play so is this a bug that will be fixed for published apps or was it simply my error in terms of applying these containers and it is a "mistake" that it works when played in Studio?"

View solution in original post

Frequent Visitor

Exactly the same thing happened to my app. It all works fine on preview, but once published all Icons start rotating. Even the Next arrow in the gallery rotates and the whole formatting of the gallery gets messy. 

I hope this bug is fixed soon.

Hi Mark.  Have a look at my suggestion above to see if that allows you to progress.  I marked it as a solution as I was able to replicate the problem and understand the scenario that makes this happen.  I am working quite happily now using Groups to help me make collections of controls and name them.

Hi @RedRushFan, I'm glad you found out what causes the problem, I was affraid I messed something up but turns out its a bug. You pointed me in the right direction and I'm trying to find out if a fix is expected soon or not. If not, I'll definately follow your suggestion but it will be quite a job to redesign my app. Wish I found this bug a little earier 😅

Helpful resources

Announcements
News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call- January

Mark your calendars and join us for the next Power Apps Community Call on January 20th, 8a PST

PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (12,042)